Sign in to follow this  
XFute-1JZsoarer

Anybody using a J3 chip?

I'm ordering a stage 1 J3 chip from TI performance to disable the smartlock for my XG into XF conversion.

If I have the chip installed, does that mean I can eliminate all the wiring from the smartlock module and ignition to smartlock wires?

Thanks for that nos2.

Well I'll do my best to keep ya informed gerg, I'll be pulling the crossflow out and dropping in the 4 litre in about a week, maybe 2.

Just tryin to find someone that will mod plate it before I begin stripping everything out for the swap.

Engine, box and diff are almost ready to go...

Dunno bout pioneer bud, but I tell ya I'm pretty stoked!

The smartlock and the dodgy XG ignition was really worrying me, not anymore though...

And I got a neat TI Performance sticker for the back window, should look good when I get my OzFalcon stickers for it too.

I'm pretty happy with the way it's all starting to come together now.

Just gotta start getting all this wiring installed but I'm hoping that shouldn't be too difficult with the dash and everything being installed too.

I'll try get some good pics of the wiring as I go, someone might find it helpful in the future.

Definanlty bud!

I'm actually thinking of using the old EB head sitting in my shed to fab up a turbo manifold in my spare time.

I'd like to set up a simple low boost setup on the XF after I've got it all bolted up and running, which will mean I'll need to step up to a stage 3 chip to get it tuned properly.

That probably won't be till around the end of the year.

I might throw some pics up today when I prep the ECU and install the chip, just to show how easy they are to install. As I was a little baffled by the whole chipping process, felt a bit silly when I saw how easy it actually is though. Lol

The chip I got has had smartlock disabled and had XR6 maps installed, so it should make a little improvement and be suitable for a few basic mods (extractors, CAI and a XR6 cam) before I'd need to upgrade.

I remember a Zoom article ("Workhorse Wakeup") on their project car: an XG ute with over 200,000 km on it. They used a pair of second-hand RB20 turbos to make about 6 psi boost and through a 4-speed auto, it made over 200 kW at the wheels. Quite impressive for a budget beater.

CT12's they are, only good for about 10-12 psi before the ceramic impellers shatter and go through the block, so I reckon they'll be ideal for the ute, the Soarer deserves a nice big single though, them JZ motors are built for big boost.