Sign in to follow this  
wookie

XF EFI head question

Heyas!

went up to my uncles farm recently and hes got a XF S Pac single rail with the EFI crossy, just recently took it off the road as he split a hose and it heated up as he got home and the tailshaft is dodgy. the car is in pretty good nick for a country car.

told him  i have a tailshaft at home from the XC that was in my 3 speed and fits the single rail and he told me that one of the spark plug threads in the head is a little too loose for his liking. i offered to buy it and hes keen, he just wants to keep the hotwires that are on it the bastard :P

is there any tips someone can give about getting the thread sorted out to get this thing home? i can get a permit to drive it, the trips about 2hrs over the ranges east of perth.

the other question is that i have a alloy headed xflow at home, im pretty sure its a D2 casting head, can i swap the heads over without causing much trouble with the EFI etc?? Im gonna pop it off my engine this week and give it a clean up as its been sitting without manifolds on so i hope i dont run into too much trouble :/

never seen a D2 head in all my time of playing with x-flows - a C2 yes but a D2 no.  a D - yes, they are the same as a C2 in the combustion chamber. 

Swapping a head over for a possible loose thread seems a little bit over the top for me.  spark plug thread chasers are available and if you wind that cylinder up to TDC you should be able to blow any sworth out through the plug hole. 

ha im probably wrong on the casting of the head at home, out here on the mine getting my brain scorched.

thanks for the info on the chaser, ill definitely try that one. ha id take a set of tyres up there next time i go and bring it back on a permit if i get it going, housemate would have kittens with car number 4 arriving tho. hahah

both of the E heads are an open style chamber on the EFI cars so putting a D or C2 head on there will bump the comp up a fair bit, all good if you want to put a cam in etc etc but will probably ping it's face off on a stock EFI bottom end. 

thanks Clevo120Y, i bought a chaser and hopefully thats all i need to do with the engine, going down there friday week so hopefully theres not many probs with it! if it starts fine ill try to get my uncle to relicense it before seeding starts