Sign in to follow this  
eattsie9

How to tell which block & head i have?

Hi all

how do i tell which block and head i have on my xflows? also which are generally thought to be the better options or is there no major differences?

Thanks

No real one is better as there basically the same bar rear main seals...If looking for future power up's and a better crank like the EF 12 counterweight unit the 86 DA block is the boss cocky cos it is a straight drop in fit.The down side to the later xflow blocks is the misalignment issues with the dizzy when using a aftermarket camshaft as you "must use a hardened dizzy gear".To find out what you have look on the rear passenger side of your engine for a coding just below the head to find maybe 84DA or such

The head is purpose dependent.So if you want alot of comp and a small chamber use a C2 if you want a turbo set up use a E head and for the in between use a C1.I use a C1A in mine cos it was a better start for my combo as it needed material removed to lower comp but left us with a really nice chamber.The C2 would have taken ALOT longer to get right.To find which head you have is look on the front passenger side in between 1-2 inlets and a code "may" be there like  E1 or C1,C2 or maybe D.If nothign is there remove the rocker cover and on top of the vally in the head you will find a HF code...maybe HF7 or such.

That said a I liked the old HF3 head that was on my old engine as well.    

It is,start reading the other threads we have like head flow thread and some performance threads to find out what parts people use and why.Read then ask questions and the answers you will get will make more sense too.

will do, ive started reading through the head flow thread and ive staryed reading through yours, ive got a long way to go to start understanding all of this stuff :P

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

looks like ive got 2 x c2 heads and one with no mark so im guessing its a hf like you said, the engine that is on the ground is a 83da block and i cant see the code on the 2 engines sitting in cars

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk