Sign in to follow this  
RAWDEAL

Td/Tc cortina Guages. need some help wiring them ect :S

the lengths some will go to for a tacho  :D

Well the length i have gone so far is this 1505164_10152217833761320_1571115785_n.j

Got the tacho to work. got the other guages figured out as far as which wires go to which senders ect.

but the fuel guage is doing funny things. When i connect it it goes straight up to full and keeps going , so i turn the ign off. Maybe there is supposed to only be 9v supplying it ? 

Same with the oil pressure, but the car used to have a light so i am assuming thats why

the speedo doesnt work but thats because there is something wrong with the gearbox, ive connected the drive gear up and even spun it by hand and it moves the speedo, but when i plug it in properly it doesnt work

am i doing something wrong with the guages or are they different from a tc to a td, voltage wise?

1) fuel sender is intact. hooked it up on the bench with a spare 12v battery, with the sender on 'full' it keeps going way past the full on the guage. with it 'empty' on the sender it doesnt move at all. 

2) is the sender/guage supposed to be supplied with a different voltage?

I dont have a varible power supply so i cant really tinker with it.

3) i assume the circuit for these guages goes   +12 > guage > sender > earth?

EDIT:

Supplied the circuit with 4.5v via a powersupply i diddnt know we had in the house lol

seems to be pretty good with the sender @ full and the guage is right on the full mark

probed the wires that come from the loom plug in the dash itself

the wire that comes from the rear of the car reads ~6.6v and the tank is half empty? 

Is there are resistor normally used with the circuit ? i have had to not use the plastic flexy print circuit board because the two are much much different from tc to td.

If/when i do figure this out ill put up a howto, including how to tell if ure sender isnt working correctly

points for a go thats for sure

so you changed a TC dash to a TD dash? can i ask why you did not switch the looms as well? it would have been plug and play then

the only way id ever do this is a full autometer dash anything else would not be worth the time i could put into somthing that makes me money  

Not sure about the rest of it but the oil pressure gauge uses a different sender than the light. one of the boys with a TD has been looking for this for a while now. not sure if he's found any.

points for a go thats for sure

so you changed a TC dash to a TD dash? can i ask why you did not switch the looms as well? it would have been plug and play then

the only way id ever do this is a full autometer dash anything else would not be worth the time i could put into somthing that makes me money  

i changed the td dash to use tc guages 

got fired thursday so pretty much cant apply for jobs after hours (apart from online) and i really want a working fuel guage. if i could be earning money i would be

the guages themselfs are the same diameter and dont take much to swap between the two differnt dash's, just the wiring is a bit of a mess.. already sorted the tacho/speedo/oil pressure should be fixed tommorrow

already had the other car here and i cant use the plug out of the back of the dash and the donor doesnt have a motor in it. gonna do some more investigation tommorrow though.. the td sender has 2 black, 1 green-white trace wires coming out of it and the tc one has 1 black wire and a red/white trace wire

Not sure about the rest of it but the oil pressure gauge uses a different sender than the light. one of the boys with a TD has been looking for this for a while now. not sure if he's found any.

Yeah thats a given, gonna try an e series one with the guage instead of a light. i am betting it will work like a charm.

Figured it out! 

needed a stepdown transformer. 

now i have fuel/temp/oil 

just gotta fix the speedo now.

anyone else had any problems with the speedo gear (inside of the gearbox, not the plastic one u pull out) wearing out? 

gearbox is a cortina 4 speed manual, got borgwarner written on it.. 

This may sound dumb, but it doesn't run the opposite way to the td cortina? Bit like how a c4 requires a gear with the opposite spline to the four speed auto found in the e series etc? Just a thought.

This may sound dumb, but it doesn't run the opposite way to the td cortina? Bit like how a c4 requires a gear with the opposite spline to the four speed auto found in the e series etc? Just a thought.

the gear that was in the car originally was different the the tc/wagon/donor . i might try swap the gears 

was really odd looking and a different pitch ect