Sign in to follow this  
78xcgxl

Help on engine bay A/C set up on XC Falcon crossflow

HI guys,

Now i wasn't sure were a/c related things go on the forum so i decided to put in the 6cylinder section since my issue is in the engine bay, but Mods feel free to move it to another section if you want to do so.

Anyways as some of you may know or those who follow my thread on the other forums, i got rid of the dealer fitted under dash system on my XC falcon and fitted the complete factory integrated a/c system that i rebuilt my self. The system works perfectly, heater works great, vacuum controls work as it should and there is not leaks whats so ever! But unfortunately i still haven't connected the a/c up and these is no a/c lines to connect the system up in the engine bay. Now with the summer already here, i can't wait any longer and want the a/c all connected and working asap.

No my problem is since I'm not running a york compressor and a modern style rotary compressor i don't have any lines to bolt in. I was going to try and get a 6 cylinder a/c XD or ZJ a/c lines , along with fitting the condenser and just get the end connections to the compressor changed.

Now these are some questions that i have if anyone knows the answer to

What compressor do XEs crossflows run?, do they still use the york compressor like XDs or the same compressor as XFs?

Would it be a good idea to run all XF a/c lines and get the tx valve connections changed to the XA-XE style?

Are XD-XF condensers the same or do the connections go metric later on?

Here are some pics the a/c setup currently on the car

IMG_4604_zps58597527.jpg

IMG_4605_zps84498b58.jpg

Any help , advice and ideas on the matter would be awesome. I drove the car yesterday in 30 degree heat sitting on vinyl seats and it wasn't very pleasant to say the least, not to mention the sheer frustration of having the a/c but not connected.

Cheers Giovanni

That compressor is very similar to what the XE's ran.

They just had a different cylinder head on the compressor,

so the hose threads were in the middle of the flat area, rather than on the edge.

That compressor is very similar to what the XE's ran.

They just had a different cylinder head on the compressor,

so the hose threads were in the middle of the flat area, rather than on the edge.

So do you reckon the lines would bolt up to the compressor i have currently on or do i have to use the XE compressor? (happy to use the XE compressor as long as i don't have to run the piece of shit york compressor). That way i can run the complete XE engine bay lines and it will cost bugger all. New seals, condenser ,receiver dryer and bobs your uncle

Late 83' onwards, XE's ran the Sanden SD510 Compressor so yeah, 

I'd maybe try a complete XE setup, and see if it fits ok.

The 510, relates to it being a 5 piston swash plate style compressor, which moves 10 cubic inches of gas, per compressor revolution.

(508 - 5 piston / 8 cubic inches, etc.)

http://www.highgateair.com.au/images/stories/products-pdf/Compressors-OEM.pdf

http://speedyairspares.com.au/

That explains it as i couldn't work as why some 6cyl XEs had york compressors and other had the modern style ones. I've found a complete XD falcon for sale for a couple of $100 which i'm going to buy just for the A/C lines and i'll just get the connections changed to fit the compressor i have currently on. I'll wreck the rest of the car and hopefully it can fund all the a/c costs for the XC :D  Thanks for the help mate.