Sign in to follow this  
adrianphu123

Rear quarter replacement advice

Hey guys

Just dug into a quarter i had done a few years ago by a dodgy mob, starting to rust in the areas shown and wanted to know what was the best way to approach it.

rust1.jpg

Rust is starting in the rectangle which is 3 panels(outer quarter, inner quarter, beaver panel) and underneath the bit shown in the arrow.

rust4.jpg

Under the red arrow, there should be a fold over where the green arrow is.

rust3.jpg

Rust bubble at the red arrow. Note there should be a tab over the two holes but they cut it off and it has allowed water to enter the quarter.

rust6.jpg

The inside of the quarter looks like this. I wirewheeled it the best i could and etched it for the time being.

The seam between the inner quarter and outer quarter needs to be cleaned out because its full of rust, the inner quarter needs to be replaced as its got pinholes of rust.

the small vertical rectangle has rust underneath, the oval has rust which has gone all the way through the quarter as shown on the outside. The arrow has rust underneath, between that piece and the outer quarter.

Whats the best way to deal with all these issues properly?

On the outer quarter, im thinking of making this cut

rust5.jpg

but when it comes to the inner quarter, im a bit lost on what will make it easier.

Any ideas would be appreciated? Im thinking of trying the metalwork myself, if worst comes to worst, i'll pay someone the money to fix it

thanks

adrian

looks like they didnt remove the 1/4 correctly,they fitted a 2nd hand panel which look like it came with rust ,best way to attack the pin holes is with a die grinder as this will piss all the scale and rust off ,so you can 1 spot weld up the new holes created by the die grinder or spot weld in small plates ,with the rear section id do what you have drawn up in the picci, with the rust between the seem ,best bet for this is to pour rust converter into the seam,let it dry for a day or two ,then etch prime it ,then paint it with ,kill rust black add a little 2 pak hardner to the kill rust itl go as hard as ,lol

put the kill rust on with a brush underneath and inside your repairs the keep the water off the back of your repairs

With the inner quarter, it has already seperated from the outer quarter more or less, so should i cut it out so i can gain access to the seam to clean it out? that way i can also replace the inner quarter which has pinholes in it anyway.

By cutting the outer quarter as shown, it should allow me to clean out underneath the oval and the arrow next to it as well as remove the tab to clean under that,

How will i tackle the rust between the 3 panels at the back?

I just paid for gas rental so im damn using it!

If your going to the extent of chopping it where you've marked it you may as well just cut the whole bottom of the outer off. This will give you access to the inner also. Looking at what you've shown there I would almost bet my balls that there will be more to be found where the wheel arch comes round. It won't take all that much more effort. Cut it maybe 10 or 15 mm down from the swage line then drill all the spot welds out around the edges. By cutting it near that line it will help minimise distortion when you weld it all back together.

your balls are safe! spot on mate

i think thats a much better option actually, most of the inner quarter is still good, rust only where the seam is so i can patch repair any pinholes.

So buy a new outer, patch repair the inner and rust treat the triple panel seam

Yep then seal that up properly from inside. I also try and wipe a bit of sealer after its primed and before paint into any gaps on the outside of the pinchweld then you safe guarded from in and out. Also keep in mind if your only patch welding sometimes its quicker to replace a section the length of the inner quarter. Just gives you nice clean steel to plug weld back to.

Had another look at the front wheel arch on the inside, its really not even close to being bad enough to warrant cutting it there.

Where the outer quarter wraps around (1st and 2nd pic, red arrow) i can barely reach the two spotwelds, can i drill them out at an angle? I've managed to split the 3 panels to clean that up, i'll drill and plug weld it back and then cut the outer quarter where i originally proposed, then cut the inner to repair the seam between the inner and outer.