Sign in to follow this  
ICEWOLF

Dizzy Recommendations

Looks like the dizzy in my XC 351 clevo is on its way out. It is occasionally making a nasty noise from the cap that sounds maybe the rotor is hitting the contacts. If I push down on the lid sometimes the noise goes away or lessens. When it is making the noise the rpm on the tach goes up though the actual rpm isnt necessarily going up (since i have seen this happen when its in gear). New cap didnt help (sounded worse if anything) and neither did swapping the clips or the rotor.

After lots of screwing around worked out that I need the smaller size dizzy shaft (12.5mm I believe). From the code on the engine it appears to be out of a 79 F100 (AL1JWP) which would make you think similar to the XD engine. The engine is black though it looks like it was blue underneath which is why I wasnt really sure. Found a 8mm socket which was 12.8mm wide though and it was only just too big to fit in the hole so pretty sure I got the size I need right.

Need some recommendations as to what dizzy to get to replace mine. Autopro can get me a rebuilt one with chinese parts for $200 or with Bosch parts for $300. The other option is the MSD8350 which I can get for $500 from Engine Master Australia and they will modify the shaft to the smaller size for free. Dont really want to spend more then that (ICE or others are $600+)

Is it worth spending the extra to get the MSD? If anyone can recommend me one I havent listed I would be happy to hear your experiences with cheaper or alternative options. Are any of the cheap ebay options ok? Car came with a spare cheapo HEI dizzy but the cap is way too big to fit in with the air filter

Engine seemingly mild at the moment though would like to have a good enough dizzy for any future plans. I dont know the cam specs or any internal details unfortunately. Only got the car recently hence no project thread yet but I will post it up once i get some decent pictures

rebush the dissy its cheap as the bosh dissy is over looked in most cases but is a very good unit under 6500rpm

i just fitted a msd system to mine but its a big rever and the bosh one was not keeping up but that setup was up and over the $600 you talk of but dam good setup and a limmiter and i needed that as id over reved it big a few times (its manual)

mine is a manual too so the rev limiter on the msd setup sounded like a nice idea.

I was hoping to get the one I have rebuilt but the local auto elec near my work doesnt do them anymore. Is it something I need to get done by a shop or is it easy to do myself?

the only other place I tried said it would cost me around $200 for them to rebuild it so it didnt seem worth if a new one wasnt going to cost a lot more

is there any options that are cheaper then an msd but still an upgrade from a reco bosch?

Pull it down and reco yourself. Wouldn't imagine it too hard. Out of my league a bit here J im a crossy man.
But, you could always piss the dizzy off all together and go waste spark with an megasquirt and keep the carby.

Otherwise get your wallet out and grab the MSD dizzy IMO.