Sign in to follow this  
SLO247

XF columnshift to floorshift

Heres a simple one, can the linkage and shifter be removed from a column shift column and a standard trim fitted? Or does the column need to be swapped?

Well you'd have the gear selection panel in the way and from memory there isn't anywhere to mount the trim to on a column shift column.

As long as its power steer to power steer or manual steer to manual steer it should be a bolt straight in :)

Just remember the key will be different unless you fiddle around swapping the ignition barrel (like I did on my ute haha)

Yeah I've done it before. Use a rivet to push in the pin on the barrel and it slides straight out, then just slide the new one in.

Hopefully I can find a column at the wreckers with a key in it!

Thanks for mentioning the power steering thing, I'd forgotten that. Bit simpler if I get one from a PS car.

I was kind of hoping I could just remove all the extra stuff from the column. Oh well.

No, reason being that in those days all the different parts variations kept people in jobs!

However, most column cars did not get the floor hump.  So if converting you'll need an xa-xe bolt in hump or cut and an xf one out to suit.

Thats true. I have a bolt in hump if anybody needs one.

My ute was already converted when I got it. It still has the old column however. I'll change it when I come across one.