Sign in to follow this  
Monolith

XF Head light fault

Hey guys, just hoping I could pick your brains a bit. I've got no head lights on the XF at the moment. I get parkers and indicators with no dramas but not the headlights themselves. It's struck me as unusual to have both blow at once.

I've checked over the globes and they seem to be in good nick and as there is no discernible fuse for the headlight circuit, I assume it's down to relays to regulate them. Are these the relays mounted on the RHS guard behind the battery? I've swapped them over to try and fault find to no effect. I assume if they're in working order the next fault could be the switch itself? This was a little dicky before the car came off the road but always worked with a little bit of fiddling.

Actually high beams flash, I've looked at the fuses and cant see one for headlights but I'll double check them.

I didn't touch the globes, I've replaced enough on my old XR4 to make sure that doesn't happen. That was a cow of a job back then, grille and head lights out to get to the globes.

Just checkin" :D

Sounds like the relays, if the Hi beams work. Does the XF have relays next to the fuses, under the panel at your right knee?? Or are they all in the engine bay? Been too long, and I drink a lot.............. :unsure:

if the high beams flash its not the high beam relay so you can swap it with the low beam(they rarely play up) relays are near the battery

i'd be leaning towards the light switch, turn it on on off a heap of times.. flick the blinker switch to low and high a few times might help.

they get dust and crap in the contacts..

I've swapped the relays near the battery with no effect so I'm thinking it might be the switch. Might be time for a visit to U-Steal-It.

theres not much to them, gently lever the outter cover off the plastic pins, watch out for the spring loaded ball i think is in there and clean the contacts inside.. will be good as new if you dont break it or lose the bits lol..

Hi there.  I've just had similar headlight problems with my '95 XG XR6 ute and have taken the switch apart that's on the steering column and cleaned up the contacts. Now, after many frustrating tries, I need help with getting the !*?#* ball bearings (there's 2 of them) back in place.  The slippery little suckers just keep popping out before I can get the metal cover into place.  Any ideas?