Sign in to follow this  
dizzy616

air conditioner pump

g'day

i was looking for ideas on how to remove the compressor for the air conditioner.

i was thinking just cut it off from the firewall. shouldn't be any coolant running through the pipes or anything should there? i was thinking of doing it roughly for now. then remove it properly. when i finally get around to ripping the dash out

compressor is on the engine under the alternator.

the evaporator is in the dash.

unbolt it and leave it if its out of gas nothing will come out. .. why remove it, be lucky if it weighs 1kg... and if you need to you can use it as a heater core if the heater core dies soon(heater cores rarely last longer than 20 years.. so good chance its on its way already)

there was no belt on it. its gets in the way of engine when i remove it and install it. its just pretty much a big lump in the engine bay doing nothing

i never remove them when i take the motor out. even if they are buggered.

i know someone who even refitted the air con condensor(radiator looking thing in front of the radiator) as he took it out, not long later a rock flicked up and put a hole in his radiator.. so he refitted it as a stone sheild lol.

i cut the belt off on mine because i couldnt be bothered undoing the adjuster to replace the alt belt.. working air con is awesome.. but its an XF, so you can assume it wont work i think.

yeh its missing the condenser.. and the bolts are seized into the top. im pretty sure the dude said that it didn't work anyway when i bought it. i ended up having to drop the thing from the engine when i removed it

if it doesnt have a condenser its not going to have gas or work or leak when you remove it(the compressor might have some oil in it if you tip it upside down but theres not much in them at best of times.

what car is this? XF? if so, those 12mm i think bolts are usually VERY tight that clamp the hoses on.. you can cut the hoses anyway if you dont care, but if you do  you'll have a pipe/hose to scratch or cut yourself on instead. the joys of old falcons... even the newest XF is 20years old.