ron_h

Spinning bolt of DEATH!

Trying to remove the last 2 fastening bolts from the bottom of the front fender X Series. But as usual once it is cracked it just spins.

A. Do I drill around the bolt/washer using a hole saw and use a larger washer when re-assembling.

B. Use needle nose vicegrips on the bolt and strike down with hammer.

C. Ask the members of this forum for their hacks.

G'day. Just did this myself yesterday I ground the head down with a finger file sander.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Not sure about the position / location of the bolts.  

Vice grips on the bolt head

Weld an old bolt/nut onto the existing one

Hacksaw/grinding disc

Leave overnight with some penetrating fluid on it (best found is 50/50 Acetone and ATF)

HEAT is always your friend

Do it up a little, undo, do it up, undo slightly more this time, do it up, undo it more again.......

39 minutes ago, bear351c said:

Do it up a little, undo, do it up, undo slightly more this time, do it up, undo it more again.......

this works often, especially if you can get access to clean the threads up with a wire brush then lube it

but sometimes with these bolts is you can jam something in to stop is spinning and then TIGHTEN the bolt until it breaks the bolt.. then you have access with the guard removed to cut the rusted stuff out with a grinder. 

i have centerpunched and drilled the bolt head off also, it's tough going, but can be done if needed. (one accessed by opening the door and above the top hinge caused me this pain once)