fotz

XF - engine bay relays near brake booster (carby)

Hi does anyone know what the 2 relays near the brake booster do for the xf falcon. I understand these are only in the late model carby xf’s

have checked wiring diagrams - can’t locate them.

I suspect one is a starter relay. 

I think I have wored this out, but please confirm

1 of them is definately a starter relay, the other was connected up through the carby manifold, so I suspect it is an engine relay of some sort.

If someone can confirm please, that would be great :)

3 hours ago, fotz said:

I think I have wored this out, but please confirm

1 of them is definately a starter relay, the other was connected up through the carby manifold, so I suspect it is an engine relay of some sort.

If someone can confirm please, that would be great :)

got a photo of them?

the EFI had 2 relays there, one was an ECU relay, the other a fuel pump relay. 

i didn't think there was a factory starter relay? @SPArKy_Dave may confirm.  but many of my cars had starter relays fitted over the years. 

i don't see why you'd have another relay for a carby manifold, unless it's some anti theft thing been added?

ive stripped them out now, but please see attached.

What is also interesting (coming from someone who has only worked on XD's), I didnt expect the Carby XF model to have an ECU in it.

image.png

carby relay.png

For the second one - it looks like some sort of ignition relay?

The wires are:

2 yellow wires bridged together - the brown switch. One goes to the battery postive terminal, the other to the relay.

The relay has a red wire which is not connected to anything on the carby model. It goes to a plug with another ground wire in it. This plug is not connected to anything.

The relay also has a alternator yellow wire which goes to the battery sense I believe on the alternator.

The orange cable with the blue stripe gotes to sensor on the carby manifold; cable goes to the carby manifold.

Would be great to understand what this relay is...

Thanks

45 minutes ago, fotz said:

Would be great to understand what this relay is...

Thanks

I'm leaning towards neither of them being factory. 

2 hours ago, fotz said:

I didnt expect the Carby XF model to have an ECU in it.

unleaded XF has an EST computer and map sensor, likely just something to minorly improve emissions at the time. they were often replaced with the leaded dizzy from XE or XF (special LEADED rotor button needed if keeping the XF cap/leads, otherwise use XE rotor and cap/leads)

if you use an XE dizzy in the later XF, remove the ECU from the kick panel, one of My XFs had ignition breakdown with it still fitted (faulty) and when removed the problem was gone. 

My Feb 93 XF van wiring is bog stock and I only have one relay at the brake booster and 2 down at the battery.

btw that red circled plug doesn't want to come apart at freeway speeds like mine did, fortunate to avoid a large backfire saving the dizzy gear and rear muffler.

top relay.jpg

twin relays.jpg

20230916_070828-1.jpg