Searley

2004 RTV Ba Conked Out

Hello People from OzFalcon. My RTV Ute which has been idle for some months tho I might start it now & then has sort of Conked out. I was driving around a caravan park for at least a Km back & forth and then it it sort of Spluttered & coughed and died. I thought it was seized. Later on it turned over ok. I cleaned the fuel filter ok & put in fuel @ least a 3rd full. Fuel pump sounds like its working and turns over But No Ignition or any Signs of getting to Life. I was trying to find a gland nut to bleed off on the fuel rail but can't see any.When I turn on the key the engine block idiot light is on and the oil can light and the fuel bowser light. A mate has a scanner to plug in but on Saturday. I have a Spare BA Ute nearby that goes if I have to Swap out parts. Has anybody got any clues(of course you have) that can advise me on How to Start the Troubleshoot. Always much Appreciated. Searley.

Hello SParky_Dave. Thanks for the reply. The Fuel pump is working and fuel is getting to the Fuel Rail. I can't see the "Crank Angle Sensor" as I don't know what it looks like or where it is. However when trying to Start it today and troubleshoot it would'nt even turn over at all. And thats with a good battery and the other BA Ute going nearby with Jumper Leads attached. All I can gather is I hear a sort of Clicking sound coming from under the Dash on the right hand side, like above the fuse box. What could that be? An ICU or BCM? Do they sometimes Crap themselves out? My mate with the scanner should turn up tomorrow. Anyway the Caravan Park management might want me to get it out the way and move it over to a fence which is about 60" away downhill. I've heard you can't Tow an Auto but it should be Ok to Push it in neutral hey? Thanks again. This RTV has been the most reliable Ford when I was driveing it everyday But as they say. Just sitting there sometimes does'nt do a car any good.

Perhaps it's a problem with PATS?

(Passive Anti-Theft System - B-series anti-theft)

Sometimes the keys can lose their connection with the vehicle, and need to be re-programmed.

A scan tool, should be able to see if PATS is active, to prevent or allow vehicle starting.

A scan-tool should also allow easy key programming, if needed.

Ok SPArKy_Dave, My mate plugged in his "Super Dooper" KingChrome OBD Scanner and it showed "No Codes".We did that 3 x separate times and still No Codes came out. But upon fiddling with the ignition key It starting to turn over freely. Fuel Pump working and fuel coming thru.I'll check the plugs and coils tomorrow and might try swapping the coils with the BA that goes. Now I'm not at all familiar with the workings of the Barra motor. So they have a Coil on Plug arrangement or that Funny looking big long coil with separate outlets on it.? I'm also going to look @ the BA Manual on the computer tonight.I also reckon I might have to change the key ignition barrel too.

Hello OzFalconers, I had a chance to work on my RTV Ute, I've got Fuel to the Rail and I've got a Good Sparks. I suspect the Plugs might be Oiled up. But I could'nt get my Sidchrome 1/2" Drive Spark Plug Socket into the hole. What is the Going Tool to use A 3/8" Socket or one of those Cheap Lawnmower type Sockets? Surely Not? 

I had to buy one to change out the plugs in my Corolla which are down a 6 inch hole. At first I had a socket with a rubber grip and it gripped the plug so tight that when you put the plug in and tried to take the tool out the extension bar came out but not the socket. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.🙄

Ok Cisco, I found The Right Spark Plug Socket that goes down that hole and with a 1/2" drive. Plugs are Ok and all the sparks are there. I can smell fuel vapours But it turns over and still won't fire. There might be an initial Bark when !st turning over. But thats it.I suspect the injectors are Blocked from dirty fuel. or something.That fitting at the end of the fuel rail with a clip I tried to get that off but no-go.Do I have to take the inlet manifold off coz you can't get to anything?? Any Clues or Previous Experience Heroes Please Apply.Thanks. The RTV Ute is in a Caravan Park and the S.A . Schoolies is soon where they Camp. FFS!.

Hi deankxf, Well its like this. I can only get to the car a few hours every 2nd day so progress is intermittent and moving forwards then things go sideways. First the fuel pump works and a new fuel filter and drained the tank of old fuel and put new fuel in. And there is a real good spark when the spark plugs are out so the ignition is Ok. My mate thinks the fuel regulator on the back of the fuel rail is shut. And it looks like you can't Unscrew anything to check. There is a Red Hand Signal that comes on the top left of the Dash. Which I think is a Anti-Theft Security Light. My other mates Blue-Drive Wi-Fi Scanner said the following Code. Something like the "Motor Drive on the Air-Flow" . He pointed out these 2 small circular components mounted opposite each other with electrical wires and plugs attached just by the Air Intake with the Butterfly Flap. Like even when I squirted petrol vapour into the manifold it turns over but didn't Fire at all, not even a Bark. Anyway We towed it away back to my Cabin in the Caravan Park with his 351 F-100( which he just put on the market) . Its Safe and Out the Way coz its The SA Schoolies next week and they stay in the Caravan Park. I'm pretty tied up and Busy right now with someone whose in Hospital so I'll get to it later. My mate was saying you can reset the "Anti-Theft System" by taking out 2 x main fuses which need a small socket( the fuse box under the bonnet) while keeping the key in with ignition on or something. Its a bit of a mystery coz  I was driving it around the Caravan Park back & forth a few times.I'll try the Reset first.Then I can salvage parts from the other donor ute same year same motor that goes. My next car will have a Steam Engine and a Coal-Fired Boiler. Ha-Ha.

1 hour ago, Searley said:

My next car will have a Steam Engine and a Coal-Fired Boiler. Ha-Ha.

yeah none of that makes sense to me above either. suffice to say i'm avoiding any of these "modern" cars built from 1993 onwards ideally. 

Hi deankxf, I know thats Why I keep my Cross-Flows in the Shed and not take them to the Tip! I'll eventually get it going and learn something. Probably like keep the battery charged and start it every 3rd day with clean fuel.

Hi SPArKy_Dave ,Yes I'v been reading about the Ford Key thing. One thing I know is this time I did'nt use the original key with the transponder. Just a spare key without a transponder. Until Next time. Have a Nice day everyone.