Grr351

Six to eight single rail

I've got hold of a really good single rail from a XF ( 038) I want to put it in my xb with a mild 351 in it .Now I believe first gear in these boxes are 3.47 ,I'm running with a 2.92 diff .Has anybody had this set up before? Or is first gear a bit short?

4 minutes ago, Grr351 said:

I've got hold of a really good single rail from a XF ( 038) I want to put it in my xb with a mild 351 in it .Now I believe first gear in these boxes are 3.47 ,I'm running with a 2.92 diff .Has anybody had this set up before? Or is first gear a bit short?

yes, I CHOSE this setup on purpose about 25yrs ago when i did My 351 into XD. 

the 351 single rail used 3.23 diff gears to My understanding(could be wrong) 

but with the 2.92 diff it was pretty much perfect (clevo revs higher than a stock  crossflow anyway) 

what you should make sure of ASAP is that the box is GOOD(the selector shaft seal often wears and leaks ALL the oil out and you'd never notice in the 6cyl)

and I would STRONLY advise it to be rebuilt (same for any single rail or T5 even) 

because what i did was blew up THREE ($50 each back in the day) in a month that were all good in 6cyls. i ended up taking 4 into a reco mob and he chose the cortina 6cyl one to rebuild out of them all due to being in better condition. (possibly even shorter 1st gear) 

anyway, i liked it, the spread of gears was very "normal" if that's a way to describe it. I did 80,000kms with the reco one before the clutch died and i switched to an auto due to traffic driving me insane with it. 

12 minutes ago, Grr351 said:

I'm running with a 2.92 diff

what i would have loved but didn't know they existed was a 2.53 diff ratio. would have been like having overdrive and My engine would have been fine with it (LPG CAM) 

You can use it ,just dont go crazy in 1st gear too much,the one you want is the 008 or 009 box quite a few for sale ,or xb v8 single rail,they tend to have a taller 1st gear.

43 minutes ago, CHESTNUTXE said:

You can use it ,just dont go crazy in 1st gear too much,the one you want is the 008 or 009 box quite a few for sale ,or xb v8 single rail,they tend to have a taller 1st gear.

I already have this xf one as it's a very low km box that was driven very carefully,I'm just putting new selector seal and gaskets through it .I'm just worried about the short 1st gear.

Would this mean 1st gear would be a longer shift or a shorter 1st gear shift being 3.47 ?