Sign in to follow this  
Demmo

Xg cluster removal

Hi all. I want to swap my xg standard gauges to the  multi gauge. Unit.  The replacement cluster is from xg as well.  The surround has 2 fixing points along the base which seems to be fixed to the dash surround by ?  They seem to be a flat headed bolt    How do you get to these do I need to remove dash or is there a special tool for it   I can’t pull any more hair out as I am already bald lol.  Any help an guidance would be great    Demmo

19 minutes ago, Demmo said:

Hi all. I want to swap my xg standard gauges to the  multi gauge. Unit.  The replacement cluster is from xg as well.  The surround has 2 fixing points along the base which seems to be fixed to the dash surround by ?  They seem to be a flat headed bolt    How do you get to these do I need to remove dash or is there a special tool for it   I can’t pull any more hair out as I am already bald lol.  Any help an guidance would be great    Demmo

note, you'll need to remove the headlight/demister etc switches fully(remember where they go, take a pic)
the XG might need steering wheel removed for cluster out, was a tight fit from memory, sort of roll it out of it's cradle (4 screws holding the cluster in)

from under the dash (remove hand brake lever cover /fuse panel cover) 

and vertically put a Philips head screw driver up either side of the steering column.   they are easier to FEEL than see.

can see one broken and one intact in the XF pic below

Ford-XF-dash-cluster-surround-trim-Fasci

Thanks for that mr Dean    should be professor Dean of the XG. .  Now you have pointed me in right direction I can feel the heads of the screws   I was looking closer to either edge lol   All i gotta do now is limber up to try an remove the f…kers the fun may be putting them back    grr

thanks Demmo 

3 minutes ago, Demmo said:

All i gotta do now is limber up to try an remove the f…kers the fun may be putting them back    grr

thanks Demmo 

i do them sitting in the seat. i feel around , put the screw driver to them and unscrew them without looking. 
had many XF XGs without those 2 screws fitted lol. i've put em back because i hate rattles etc. 

i think the reason I know so much about X series is because of all the problems i've had with them owning as daily's for 20yrs + 

TIP OF THE DAY now, don't assemble it fully until you check the odo works. (90% of them these days the gear will be stuffed (if it doesn't bother you, just assemble it.) low kms for ever.. (kind of a prick of a job to replace, but possible still)

DO YOU HAVE the correct oil sender for the sports cluster? EA EB ED will be same (sports/XR6/ghia etc) EF EL will work but may read higher or lower (i have used one on My XF once) 

pretty sure the XD XE XF one will read very low or very high though 

currently it just is an off /on switch for the oil light

i do them sitting in the seat. i feel around , put the screw driver to them and unscrew them without looking. 
had many XF XGs without those 2 screws fitted lol. i've put em back because i hate rattles etc. 

i think the reason I know so much about X series is because of all the problems i've had with them owning as daily's for 20yrs + 

TIP OF THE DAY now, don't assemble it fully until you check the odo works. (90% of them these days the gear will be stuffed (if it doesn't bother you, just assemble it.) low kms for ever.. (kind of a prick of a job to replace, but possible still)

DO YOU HAVE the correct oil sender for the sports cluster? EA EB ED will be same (sports/XR6/ghia etc) EF EL will work but may read higher or lower (i have used one on My XF once) 
pretty sure the XD XE XF one will read very low or very high though 

currently it just is an off /on switch for the oil light
Should be same sender for X series and EA-ED.
VDO list the same part number for them.
EF/EL were a different sender.

9 minutes ago, Mr Polson said:

Should be same sender for X series and EA-ED.
VDO list the same part number for them.
EF/EL were a different sender.

pretty sure i had different readings with the XF ones when i fitted the EA - ED cluster in my ute, same for the other guy that did his at the same time (Matt) 

something to try though when everything is extinct.