Sign in to follow this  
78xcgxl

Cruise Control

I do a fair bit of freeway driving and would love to have Cruise Control in my XC. Has anyone fitted a kit of some sort to one of these type of cars and has any pics, tips or info on it.

Some time ago I fitted an aftermarket cruise control to a Webber carbed XF - so the fundamentals may be the same for you. It was a universal fit jobbie from Command Auto Group ( http://www.tcag.com.au/ ). They're based in Sydney but as with a lot of things these days their manufacturing is done in China. It does a pretty good job. Over the fifteen years that I've had the unit I've needed the cabin mounted control to be replaced as the switches failed. I was able to source spares from Sydney and support from the company which made it has been good.

The cruise control uses manifold vacuum to power an engine bay mounted servomotor which actuates the throttle. Speed sensing was via tail shaft mounted magnets. The install was fairly straight forward. The kit came with a bunch of components that are supposed to assist you in installing the cruise control (brackets etc). Because it's a 'universal application' device...most of the stuff wasn't that useful so I fabricated up some brackets to adapt the servomotor control cable to the Webber carb. Pretty simple really - and I was happy with the performance of the cruise control. It maintains speed well.

I'd get some photos of the install for you but the car currently lives in Ballarat some distance from my place. If you semi-handy with the tools, installing one would be a cinch IMHO.....

Thank you very much for the well written response.  Does the cruise control in your XF allow you to press the throttle while the cruise is engaged?

Yes it does. The cruise will disengage when vehicle speed overshoots or undershoots by more than 15% of the initial setting -  according to the literature that came with the unit. For example...labouring up a hill with resultant reduction in speed will cause it to "unhitch" as will overtaking manoeuvres taking you to speeds 15% above the initial cruise setting. It's a safety mechanism. Any speed variations that occur within that band are corrected for by the unit. It maintains speed during normal conditions very well. Because your common or garden variety Falcon is generally a torquey beast only the steepest hill at low speed (say 60kph) will cause a speed reduction enough to cause the unit to disengage.