Sign in to follow this  
wagoon

AU harmonic balancer

Need to change the harmonic balancer in my AU LTD. Been looking around seeing whats available and getting part numbers to ring a few places for a price. I have seen 2 different part numbers from powerbond balancers one is HB1463N and the other is PB1463-ST. Is one better than the other as there is only a $20 price difference between the 2 part numbers? I'm only after a standard replacement but if one is better than the other and both are bolt on them I would rather get the better one.

Yeah thanks mate. I saw the "street" in the basic description but what does the "street" actually mean? What makes them different to the OEM ones?

According to their website:

OEM/Standard

"Dayco POWERBOND OEM Replacement Balancers offer engine repairers the option of a totally new assembly featuring high grade SG iron castings assembled with new inserted or bonded rubber as used in the original balancer."

Street Performance

"The Dayco POWERBOND Street Series brings bonded balancer technology within the budget of every performance street engine builder from mild to wild. They also make a great heavy duty OEM replacement balancer.

Dayco POWERBOND Street Balancers are also perfect for limited spec race classes such as late model stock that require an OEM style balancer.

The bonded dampening rubber in every Dayco POWERBOND Street Series balancer eliminates spinning and component separation giving reliable performance in engines used to 6500rpm.

Dayco POWERBOND Street Series combine new high strength SG (Nodular) Iron balancer centres with new inertia rings, bonded then balanced to extremely tight tolerances.

All Dayco POWERBOND Street balancers feature easy to read permanently etched timing marks on the outer ring."

thanks for putting that up.

According to their website:

OEM/Standard
high grade SG iron castings assembled with new inserted or bonded rubber as used in the original balancer."

Street Performance
high strength SG (Nodular) Iron balancer centres with new inertia rings, bonded then balanced to extremely tight tolerances.

So if you remove all the marketing hype and waffle the only difference is that the "street" version has been balanced to "extremely tight tolerances". I would have thought that any harmonic balancer was suppose to be made to extremely tight tolerances 

Could be pretty old, Powerbond is owned by Dayco now, I didn't see any mention of Dayco in that catalogue.

I'd say the OEM ones are made to manufacturer tight tolerances, and Street ones are higher?

Street ones also feature etched timing marks on them rather than just a dot.