CHESTNUTXE

HYD LIFTERS AND PUSHRODS

Just as a precaution i started with light setting on the new engine +60 thou shim with normal 8.408 std length pushrods, because i new the heads have been shaved,after break in i went to +30 shim and it didnt seem to do much about the rocker noise,so then i took the shims out totaly and still not much different,then discoverd i had the incorrect fulcrum which was +80 thou taller than the std cleveland ones ,so i bought the manley std cleveland fulcrums started her up waited till its warm and nope rocker noise still there ? so i bought a set of + 62 thou pushrods and put it all back together today it seemed maybe a bit better but im not convinced ? when doing the preload i can see and feel the pushrod going down into the lifters with plenty of preload ,any idea what else it could be ? there is only rocker noise at idle,once the revs increase and oil presure picks up its as quiet as anything and hauls ass,surley it could not need more longer pushrods eg'' 8.550 ?

WP_20160515_17_22_38_Pro_zpsbkghwoq0.jpgI took it all apart again and this time got it 99% right,this time i set the preload on the base circle of the cam and only a slight preload of 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn on the bolt,i watched a you tube video where after setting the preload you should still be able to push the set up into the plunger a bit,and i had way to much load on the springs as it was hard to start,as soon as i re-set everything, it fired up so easy and idle was better,and yup the rocker noise was just about non detectable,i remember when i had the heads re-coed,that 1 seat had to be redone ,and when i set the preload on it ,i had to use a longer pushrod by 0.062,all of the adjustments were all over the place some no shim ,some shim,just goes to show just dont bolt em all down thinking it will be sweet as because its worth spending the time getting it right even with non adjustable rockers.

I dunno why they'd reseat only one valve, but there you go. I like to pre-bleed my lifters in a cup of oil and push up and down on the plunger till it goes solid. I just bolted mine down and they bled down themselves. No dramas at all. I'm running stock springs and rockers though.

Don't be too scared of a bit of clatter at idle, clevos are known for it. The pressed-steel rockers aren't exactly a Swiss watch for precision.

Seeing as you're having dramas with geometry, have you checked rocker tip to valve contact? How much was taken off the heads/block?

hmmmm the machine shop guy said all were pretty good except 1 ,nothing off the block,but im guessing some off the heads,(the heads had been done up some years ago 73cc ,aftermarket springs and retainers,by the compression calcuator 9.1.1,speed pro flat tops 

If your running anti pump up lifter with heavy valve springs it will tap dance all day every day at idle, I run Johnson hylift and the tick at idle is barely noticeable, most people can't hear it unless I point out and make them listen,,,,, alternatively buy a kick ass stereo and a sub,,, problem solved,, :-)