X-F250

XF 4.1 Idles Too Fast?

Hey guys, got an issue with the carb 4.1 in my ute. Changed belts and fluids and went to get everything up to temperature so I did a few laps of his back paddock. At some point it threw the alternator belt and got a bit warm so I let it sit for a few hours after I changed the belt. Ever since then it starts and immediately goes up to 2000rpm. Tried adjusting the idle screw, doesn't do anything. Any idea what it could be? The throttle cable is brand new and isn't stretched.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Hows it going mate

I had a similar problem however the fast idle was probably only around 1200 ish revs

It turned out that inside the chock housing on the side of the carb, that the stop for the fast idle cam had broken off which was allowing it to rotate further than it was meant to and getting jammed in the fastest idle position.

Its a terrible photo but it shows the fast idle cam rotated right around anticlockwise until it jammed.

IMG_2105_zps46699494.jpg

The broken off stop

IMG_2142_zpsb22bf2b9.jpg

And to fix it just bang in some filler of some kind

IMG_2147_zps25803df9.jpg

I'm not sure if this is your problem as the fast idle screw would have to be wound in a fair way for it to idle at 2000 revs but it might be worth looking at.

Otherwise check that you have some slack in your accelerator cable and that the tranny kick-down cable isn't stopping it.

Also i believe some AC fitted cars have a solenoid on the carb to raise the idle when the AC is on but you'd have to ask someone else about that.

Shouldn't be too hard to sort out once you find the problem