Sign in to follow this  
xSMOKEx

TE Cortina Rear 8 inch wide rim offset help

hey guys

im having my rear wheels machined to change the offset by 30mm , they going to cut the alloy centre out of the steel rim barrol and re-wield it to correct offset. as they dont fit under my guards

the problem im having is i forgot to measure the back side of the Tyre to the wheel well before i took the tyres off the rims i will be running 225's and im worried when the suspension raise's up will it wont clear the back wall and scrub? 

has any one else ran 8 inch wide rims with 225's under there tf/te ? and know what offset clears everything ?

DSC_0109.jpg

DSC_0102.jpg

DSC_0116.jpg

DSC_0117.jpg

I used to run a 18x8 with a 235 on a standard Corty diff the rims were a post AU offset diff was not shortened but had a falcon disc conversion maybe Dave (pro250) will see this and chip in with more info cause he did the conversion

Cortina for life

a 5.5 inch rear spacing should clear everything but if it was me id get them to spilt the rims and give them back to you so you can check to be sure they will be right

in saying that it will take away your dish doing that id cut down the diff case  

thanks guys appreciate it :)
to dark to measure up atm but im guessing when you say 5.5 inch your meaning from the centre face of the rim to back of the rim needs to be with in 5.5 inch's  so tyre would not hit the wheel well back wall , witch makes sense to me at first i read it has 5.5 inchs away from the back  wall and i was like that cannot be right no way it would travel that far when it lifts on a angle. makes much more sense when i looked at it from above mentioned way .

its exactly 100mm from back centre rim hub plate to outer rim rear, , so if i + offset by 30 mm would be 130 mm leaving 9mm  of free space so i would at least have 9mm of dish ? or would i be beter measure straight out 139mm (5.5) inch's , straight in from teh back side of the rim and get them to set the offset there ?

so being as the rim is 8 inch wide would be 200mm wide , so centre would be 100 = 0 offset witch i have now correct ?, so moving it 5.5 inch's would make it +39 offset ?  , i think i have got this shit now worked out lol will seem confusing for you guys as im working this out as i type lol  now my question is how much offset can i get away with to keep a some of the dish ?.

whats they charge to have axles shortened and housing ? i got quoted near $550 for a 9 inch a few years ago , keeping the dish would be nice but going 9 inch 5 stud 31 spline, eventually so if its not close to $350 i did not see the point of spending $500.

got quoted $175 a rim for changes

so $350 is not to bad as would cost me that to get another set of rims to suit and i was thinking when i go to resell them i should at least get $400 for the set due to haven't seen any other rims like this in 4 stud corty pattern , good rims are hard to come by unless your spending 800+ and want the old school drag look. closets to these i have seen is flat faced centrelines with 0 dish.

ok i just droped them off to him , getting centre moved 35mm and he going to tack 1 up for me to test fit :)

thanks for your help guys , will post pic's when there done 

got my rims back :) test fit went perfect  , took it back to him and just got them back yesterday all wielded up.

wish i could of kept some of the dish but they still look good , honestly think i got them perfect 225's now have plenty of clearance i think 245's would only just be scrubbing , very happy with the work he has done , highly recommend if your in brisbane an need wheel work done give bruce a call at Race engineering in Rocklea. he does all sorts of wheel mods , he also does axle's but not housings .

http://www.raceengineering.com.au/

haven't had a chance to get the tires thrown on today but got them put on for test fit then had to remove to have them wielded up .

DSC_0125.jpg

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0126.jpg

ill post more pic's of how they sit under the rear once tires get put on friday , looking at putting Dunlop Direzza z2 star spec's tires on all round , been doing a bit of reading seems these are the way to go for a street/strip tire , was looking at going semi slicks but these seem to  performs good as them and dont wear out to fast , not sure what size they have in 14 inch rims though.

other suggestions appreciated , wanting tread that's street able but really grippy and wont wear out with in a week . an has great performance