SXE357

Clevo 351 in XF Falcon/ZL Fairlane/FE LTD?

By bringing the engine forward, won't thT also require a modification of the gearbox cross member, as the box will also be moved forward, wich will require adjustment / modify the transmission selector & also is there enough length on the output spline of the tailshaft to allow eveything to go forward?

Does it affect handling & balance with the motor further forward of the crossmember?

Instead of elongating holes, wouldn't it be better to weld another plate to the engine mount pedestal with the correct size hole in the required position???

The gearbox crossmember has enough play in its holes to move it forward as well, its only moving half an inch at the most, so not a big movement. There is plenty of length in the tail shaft spline for it to move forward.

Why would you muck around welding more plates on when elongating the holes does exactly the same thing?

There are other guys on here with far more experience on this than me, they could answer your questions better, but from what Ive seen with mine, its not an issue, as I said, the engine is only moving forward cm, not feet.

Calm down mate, I'm not having a go at anyone.

I'm not saying what's right & what's wrong, but for me personally elongating a hole that much on an engine mount pederstal just seems wrong.

For all the effort to fit the engine, I would spend a little more time to prevent an elongated hole.

The reason I ask about the gearbox output is, moving an inch forward is fine, but then a different diff setup goes in & it sits an inch further back.

Next thing the tailshaft is laying on the road.

Just small things to consider.

Where on earth from my comment would you think I wasnt calm or though you were having a go at anyone???? I was just saying how I was told to do it, and its worked for me, along with many others by the sounds of it.

Im not intending to put in a different Diff set up so its not going to be an issue, but if you were going to you would still have the same issue with your idea, and I would suggest it would be something you take into consideration.

Where on earth from my comment would you think I wasnt calm or though you were having a go at anyone???? I was just saying how I was told to do it, and its worked for me, along with many others by the sounds of it.

Im not intending to put in a different Diff set up so its not going to be an issue, but if you were going to you would still have the same issue with your idea, and I would suggest it would be something you take into consideration.

Sorry mate, it sounded like you were put out because I questioned how you were doing the job.

I just see all the effort with the electric power steer, grafted firewall & fairlane dash, you would want something a tad more refined than the above mentioned way, but hey if your happy with how it's going to work, it's no dramas.

Thanks mate, I appreciate your input, could have been a few months earlier though hehehehe, but the elogated holes turned out alright, and the engine fits in nicely, there is room for all hoses at the back and the gearbox fits and there is plenty of manoeuvre room with the tail shaft, so Im a happy man.

Your idea does have merit, though. Next time......

All good mate, as long as you got the result your after.

Ideas on my XD has been a series of evolution over the last 8 years or so.

Always something to change or improve.

I cut out & rewired stuff the other week, cause as much as I tried to convince myself that it was the best I could do, the truth was I was being lazy when I did it.

The Reaper has been a 6 year project so far, but finally finishing him off.

Yeah I get to that stage all the time, Ive just learnt now to stop and come back when I feel like doing it, other wise Im doing it again.