XTREME KARTS XF

Dodgy fuel gaauge reading

Hey fella's,

The fuel gauge in my XD is dodgy. Ever since i've owned it the gauge reads 3/4 full when the fuel tank is full of fuel (68 litres)

Now i've also noticed that the needle skips between 3/4, 1/2 and 1/4 of a tank. Do i have a dodgy earth? bad sender/pickup? or a dodgy fuel gauge?

I would say it's probably the gauge.

Are your temp and oil gauges working ok..?

If not then it could be the earth for the cluster.

It's not like an XD sender to cause the reading to jump all over the place. 

The most common problem with XD gauges is they tend to read high, due to build up inside the sender and the fuel metering orifices in the sender.

See this:

http://www.ozfalcon.com.au/index.php?/topic/1972-guide-troubleshooting-fuel-level-display-capacitive-probe/?fromsearch=1

But I still think it's the gauge or possibly the wiring.

Mine is pretty much the same mate - Reads 3/4 when full. I never trust it. Put it down to the shitty old sender that needs a good cleanup - Just haven't gotten around to it yet. I've had two different clusters in mine and had the same problem with both.

I'd try giving the sender a good cleanup first - as per VDO's linked thread.

I know for a fact that if you use E-10 it will mess with the reading a lot as well because of the way the sender probe thing (technical term :P ) works - VDO would be able to explain that better than me.

If the needle has times when it's constantly jumping around then it could be a bad earth - I've had that happen as well. I had a combination of both at one stage.