Nath

XD Stromberg-Weber Vacuum Lines

Hey guys,

So the Stromberg was being a pain and decided to swap it for a Weber from an XF. I've so far managed to use the old accelerator and kickdown cable (changed bracket). About to wire the idle solonoid soon and I'm going to just roll with the old manual choke from the Stromberg.

The vacuum lines however, are giving me a bit of a headache. There's a whole bunch of extra ones for the Weber seeing as the XF had a bunch more emissions stuff, and lots of the fittings are in different spots. XF Diagrams are of no use, as half of the stuff on them I don't even have.

Basically what I've done, is use the same vacuum setup I had with the Stromberg. There were only 3 lines connected to the Carby, which I'll try to connect to corresponding areas on the Weber. Not sure if this is actually gonna work or just turn into a soup sandwich.

If anyone's done a Stromberg to Weber conversion on an XD, or even just has a vac diagram for an XD Weber setup, that would be massively helpful, as the XE-XF ones aren't helping much.

Cheers.

If your carb was off an XE the job would be a whole lot simpler. You really just need to figure out the vacuum advance and plumb that directly to the carb, the rest if you can either just loop them back or plumb them to a source of vacuum and they should work.

No need to go all out with trying to match the diagrams as you are missing 50% of the emission parts.

Is that the one from the Distributor?

If so, on the XD it was running from the Dist, to the PVS switch on the thermo housing, then to the carb.

Not sure exactly what outlet on the carb it's meant to hook onto though.

You should be able to google it check out www.oldholden.com they have alot on ADM conversions to holden sixes which can help you out.

Ahk now we're talking. Will check when I get home just getting the idle solonoid sorted atm.

I figure ill just connect what I can, plug the rest and see what happens when I run it.

I also think i'm missing a couple of hoses on the air cleaner - Got the one from the vac motor but I have 2 more connection spots (one inside the damn thing too) and no hoses/idea where they go.

That piece of information may solve the mystery then - I'll plumb it to PVS on the thermo housing which runs back to the dizzy.

Nath you'll need to have the vac advance working on your car for best performance. Post 86 XF's used an EST distributor which had a computer controlling it. Pre 86 XF's and XE's used the standard dizzy which requires vacuum advance to work. Try to set up the vacuum lines to run like your stromberg set up worked for the advance as just dodgying things will cause more issues and the car wont run right.