Sign in to follow this  
xr6tjet

xf ghia illuminated door locks query

hey guys,

so yesterday was in the garage and I opened the door to my XF ghia and noticed the door key hole wasn't lighting up. Further investigation tells me that the earth wire leading to the door lock is bust via multimeter (red and black wire is getting power). I replaced the entire door loom a while back for one from the wreckers and was working fine for ages. Haven't been really driving the car tbh. I'm wondering where the illuminated door lock earth leads to as in does it join up to other earths in the door and then exit as one wire? I am trying to avoid removing the guard just to access one wire and fix it... it takes too damn long. any advice on the easiest way? Worst case I would have to remove the guard and check the wire to see if its stuffed.

cheers, alex.

Alex xf door looms run under the front seats and up the underside of the console and join the main loom under the radio. You could a fractured wire in the flexing bit between the body and the door. Note the electric mirror join t he main loom in the corners and the dash on both sides. I have in the past dragge extra wires through the loom and retaped the flexing section. You can do it removing only yhe kick panel but a much easier and neater job removing the guard

Dale

Alex xf door looms run under the front seats and up the underside of the console and join the main loom under the radio. You could a fractured wire in the flexing bit between the body and the door. Note the electric mirror join t he main loom in the corners and the dash on both sides. I have in the past dragge extra wires through the loom and retaped the flexing section. You can do it removing only yhe kick panel but a much easier and neater job removing the guard

Dale

Thanks mate that's what I did initially just removed the guard and soldered up my new door loom. It all worked first go. Looks like now the earth wire has gone cactus. Looks like ill have to do the same thing again. I hate removing the guard and putting those damn bumper clips back in lol so annoying. XE is so much easier with just bolts.

If you want take a nut off hinge and the bolt out where the hinge meets the door and run wire between you may be a able to ground the light to get it to work.

On the driver door you can pick a ground wire up off the main control switch yhat is a black wire that must be still grounded as your windows are still working?

On left hand side you will have a ground on the cigarette lighter you can use

Good luck Dale

Thanks for the wiring diagram dale it will help. I took the guard off last night to check out the wiring. It all looks okay from when I originally done all the work, that particular earth wire must have just been on its way out as its very thin. I checked for continuity from the wire to the inside of the car and it works fine so I will probably have to replace the section of wiring going into the door. Hopefully have it fixed by tonight.

Is there an easy way to put the guard clips back into the bumper?