Sign in to follow this  
binary-fuel

Best deep rust removal methods?

I have owned a ford xg ute for sometime now. I got it as a second hand ute which was owned by an ex trade fellow. The ute has had some of the body cut by wood and metal rubbing against it and causing deep cuts which has rain has touched.

For anyone who has more know how then me, What is the best method to remove rust in hard to reach places?, best rust converters? method or removal in attempts to remove the deep rust cut to prep for new paint or strengthening using some steel, or just to prevent rust for eating away more while i gain funds to do a grind back.

Any tips or tricks would be greatly helpful. Thank you in advance

Binary-fuel

I don't know much about rust removal in tricky spots, but how about you take some photos of the affected areas, if possible. Some of the others on here would probably put you on the right track once they see the rust.

Without seeing it myself, my guess is to use a wire brush (if access is fairly tight) to knock off the upper layers of rusty metal, blow off the loose rust/dust. Then hit the area with rust converter, then perhaps fish oil until you can do a thorough repair. Or if you are very pressed for time, just fish oil the rusty areas, better than nothing.

the method I been using is:

clean

get as much rust of with wire disc on drill

por15 metal prep

por15 rust preventative paint

por15 stuff is expensive so unless you have abit to do I wouldn't get it.

Abrasive blasting - if you've access to one or know someone who does is the best way of removing corrosion without removing much parent metal. I'd chuck some epoxy primer on the treated metal straight afterwards...are you in Melbourne?