Anthony Pllu

Help With Spedo please

ok so was at my uncles on the weekend for early xmas and he has a XD sitting in the paddock and has been there for over 10 years. no windows pretty much falling appart. grabbed the cluster out of it as why not. and some how it works fine. i have a spedo.

even tho the board is covered in corrosion and spedo is rusted and warped??? so i just put my facia on it and off i go.

will look for a neat cluster soon dont know how 2 of mine have just stopped. will check over all the wiring. 

i checked the transducer at the box and its getting 12v not 8v?

same on the cluster end. 

You can sweat the pins on the old gauge out of the circuit board and solder them into your current one.

If the transducer needs 8v and it gets it from the cluster, there must be some kind of voltage regulator in there to achieve that 8v

some reason oil just goes over to max even when car is not running. 

Oil gauge will go to full scale when the sender line is open circuit or incorrect impedance.

XD/FC oil sender is different to XE/FD oil sender... different ohms range.

That cluster pic looks like XE/FD.  Do you know which oil sender you have..?

so tested the transducer and not happy with the results. it was giving 0.018 then 0.009 then 0.006 and then nothing for almost a full rotation i was doing it as slow and steady as i could but never have 8 pings over a full rotation. will find a new one

The output level on each puls doesn't matter so much as how many pulses per rotation.

Looks like you have 3 pulses there... no good.

ok so was at my uncles on the weekend for early xmas and he has a XD sitting in the paddock and has been there for over 10 years. no windows pretty much falling appart. grabbed the cluster out of it as why not. and some how it works fine. i have a spedo.

even tho the board is covered in corrosion and spedo is rusted and warped??? so i just put my facia on it and off i go.

will look for a neat cluster soon dont know how 2 of mine have just stopped. will check over all the wiring. 

same on the cluster end. 

Sorry, my bad on the voltage.  I was tired.... groan.

same on the cluster end. 

If you want to send me the two speedos, i can check them out for you... no cost apart from postage each way.

some reason oil just goes over to max even when car is not running. 

Oil gauge will go to full scale when the sender line is open circuit or incorrect impedance.

XD/FC oil sender is different to XE/FD oil sender... different ohms range.

That cluster pic looks like XE/FD.  Do you know which oil sender you have..?

The car is FD. But it had a 250efi before i put the 351 in. So all the loom is from a efi250. Im running a aftermarket vdo sender as was running a aftermarket guage. I wired the new vdo sender directly to the pin for oil on the dash. But did not change anything guage still sat at max.

The car is FD. But it had a 250efi before i put the 351 in. So all the loom is from a efi250. Im running a aftermarket vdo sender as was running a aftermarket guage. I wired the new vdo sender directly to the pin for oil on the dash. But did not change anything guage still sat at max.

Can you tell me the VDO number of the oil sender you're using..?