Sign in to follow this  
Mr Polson

Steering Column Adjustment

Firstly, posting this in here as there is no steering section.

When.I changed my XF from three on the tree to T5, I swapped to a ZL column so I'd have adjustable column.

However I've got manual steering, and I haven't been able to figure out how to adjust the column length wise to match up to the steering box and be right inside the cab. The flexible coupling is mostly flat, but the steering wheel is too close to the dash, and I can't get my trim surround on.

Is there a special trick to get the column to the right length?

When you tried to fit the new column, did you have to move the grey bracket at the end a lot because the flange didnt meet up with the fabric coupler?

Going from power to manual, you need to tap the flange out to meet the box.

Pull column,put steering wheel back on.   Stand column vertically so that you can grasp steering wheel to pull up (ok, might be worth using an old shit one, cause you might bend your wheel).

Put a piece of timber on eiter side of the flange at the bottom, and STAND on it.   Then pull the steering wheel.  Usually pulls out and amount.  Check length, do again, or move to next step when long enough

Then you can finesse it to the right size with a small hammer/being carefull....

Then back in the car.  Make sure you move said grey bracket where it belongs.   Especially important with power steering is to make sure the cloth coupling is FLAT - or your very likely to get steering whine.

Bolt away, and drive away

This is exactly what I wante to know - ill give it a go tomorrow.

I don't have power steering so no whine, but I feel every little bump in the road as the wheels hit it and try to turn the coupling and not the wheel, if that makes sense.