Sign in to follow this  
xr6tjet

Passenger Front - Exterior door handle won't open latch

Hey guys,

I have a problem with my XF ghia. The other week I changed my outer latch to another one from the wreckers as it was in better condition then mine. As soon as I did this I was unable to open the door from the exterior handle. I have a brand new door mechanism from ford installed. The problem is that when I pull the exterior handle up the arm on the inner door mechanism gets stuck under the other arm which is responsible for keeping the door in the lock/unlock position. It just doesn't allow for the door mechanism arm to fully extend and open the latch. The interior door handle works perfectly. I'm stumped and I have no idea what is wrong. I've replaced the rods for spare ones I had, bent the door handle rod and still the same thing. Its like the door mechanism is getting stuck while trying to open the exterior latch. Could it be the latch perhaps?? I have also just replaced the hinges.  Any help would be appreciated.

In addition when I pull the central locking rod up the door opens. wtf is going on??

Cheers, Alex.

is the mechanism the internal door one(that you changed?) if not, that is likely the cause.. in particular a tiny spring in it(rare spares sell it)

if you turn the key to unlock or lift the knob to unlock at the same time then open the door with the handle and it works, its likly this spring is missing or broken..

otherwise.. more info or pics will be required

Sorted the issue, fitted a spring to my original door mechanism and it works fine. Where on rarespares do they sell the spring? As I would like to have a few spare.

Cheers, Alex.

I went to a wreckers on the weekend and to my luck there were a few low ks XFs so I took all the door mechanisms as spares. To my surprise I worked out why my NOS door mechanism didn't work, when I refitted the spring on it I put it the wrong way so it was not holding in the lock position properly. Go figure oh well its all sorted now :)