ashXFute

XF S-pac cluster trouble shooting

I've started having some minor issues with the cluster in my XF.

I've had it out previously to replace the odo gears and fixed that issue but now I've got some other seemingly electric issues cropping up.

1) The temp sensor climbs and jumps around. Or will just sit at half where it normally evens out.

2) occasionally the dash will lose all illumination and sensors. Found a quick tap on the front can bring it back.

3) dash loses all sensor display and then just shows clock. Last time came up with Er 2 code before showing clock again.

From research I suspect old/dry connections are most likely the issue. This will be a cluster out and investigate. I will also be attempting to clean and re-solder joins. If any one has any advice please comment to help out.

I will also take pictures and ad them in as a guide for the future

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, ashXFute said:

I've started having some minor issues with the cluster in my XF.

I've had it out previously to replace the odo gears and fixed that issue but now I've got some other seemingly electric issues cropping up.

1) The temp sensor climbs and jumps around. Or will just sit at half where it normally evens out.

2) occasionally the dash will lose all illumination and sensors. Found a quick tap on the front can bring it back.

3) dash loses all sensor display and then just shows clock. Last time came up with Er 2 code before showing clock again.

From research I suspect old/dry connections are most likely the issue. This will be a cluster out and investigate. I will also be attempting to clean and re-solder joins. If any one has any advice please comment to help out.

I will also take pictures and ad them in as a guide for the future

@Seamus just fixed his with My guidance in his thread.  
check out this page on his thread, (toot toot chugga chugga big red car)
feel free to make a how to thread out of all the info and i'll make it a sticky (i don't have time, but basically everything is covered in that link including bad solder joints likely with yours as ZKFAIRLANE mentions in there 

Definitely pull it out and open it up.

If I'm honest, I was a bit anxious about pulling it apart. However, it was much easier than I anticipated, and it was quite easy to see the problems.

9e87f8e910abade754909157d79dc35c.jpg401d80d09984a76fbb4c5d1796ffa12f.jpg7c36f1bbf399134e4882c2a3dae24944.jpgb84158b5f21e3ada88e2d6eb3c40e0bd.jpg2f94e0ed026015f08a1caf43e3283393.jpg