Nath

Stromberg BX Carb Identification

Hey guys,

Going to rebuild my strommy soon and have to figure out a couple of things - the first pic is the original from my 81 XD. The second is a mystery one I ordered for parts. They are stamped differently (E and I, different numbers too). Is anyone able to identify it?

My one is the emissions model with the idle mixture screw being not adjustable (was blocked with a plastic bushing under the screw). I heard XC and before were adjustable so hoping this new one is an earlier one. If so, I'll swap the bases out.

Years ago I tried replacing the non adjustable screw with this bush and screw setup (third pic) but I remember it always had issues seating properly in the hole as it wasn't threaded. Not sure if these are supposed to be press-fit or what. I've messaged the supplier but they're yet to reply.

Also, from memory that appears to be the top half of the idle solonoid missing there right (first pic)? IMG_20230510_144951060.jpgIMG_20230510_145055512.jpgStromberg-N-and-S-Replacement-Kit-900_159-012A-1--500x500.jpg

Sent from my moto g(50) 5G using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Nath said:

Years ago I tried replacing the non adjustable screw with this bush and screw setup (third pic) but I remember it always had issues seating properly in the hole as it wasn't threaded. Not sure if these are supposed to be press-fit or what. I've messaged the supplier but they're yet to reply.

Stromberg-N-and-S-Replacement-Kit-900_159-012A-1--500x500.jpg

Sent from my moto g(50) 5G using Tapatalk

I think you could Loctite the female part into the carburettor.

The Webers have a plastic thing in there and can cock up if not careful.

I had a few XDs in the past and never had any issues with the Strombergs, simplicity being the key.

3 hours ago, Nath said:

Also, from memory that appears to be the top half of the idle solonoid missing there right (first pic)?

i think that is a throttle nudger for when you turn the air con on. probably don't NEED it anyway

i don't know any differences, the ones i did have never gave any issue whatsoever.

I think you could Loctite the female part into the carburettor.

The Webers have a plastic thing in there and can cock up if not careful.

I had a few XDs in the past and never had any issues with the Strombergs, simplicity being the key.

Yeah that's why I want to switch back to the original strommy, it's a 3.3 so a Weber isn't going to make it fast, just more shit to go wrong.

I tried loctiting it in and I think I still had issues with the bushing falling out. The place selling them just confirmed its a press fit. From memory the hole might have been tapered and the bushing wasn't (also brass doesn't mould itself to the shape of the well to seal it as far as I know) so not sure how that's supposed to work in real life. Maybe I did something wrong before and I'll see when I take it apart.

Edit: They sent me these instructions so I guess it's a press fit, we'll see later.

My XD has aircon although not working at the moment, hopefully I can find the other half of the assembly.

695458858480ba092093ae50b8614762.jpg