Sign in to follow this  
1977 ZH

wobbly balancer

recently purchased a zh fairlane with a 351 clevo i recently fitted a gilmer drive I've noticed the harmonic balancer is wobbling, every things bolted up tight and i used loctite on the gilmer pulley bolts.

any ideas on what it could be? the gilmer drive is a pro flow hope there not to shit.

my first step is to try my spare balancer i have in the garage.

any suggestions to get it sorted or similar experiences would be appreciated.

Whats wobbly? The Gilmer drive pulley or the balancer outer?

the balancer, so really the whole things moving about I'm not to keen to drive it till i have it sussed out.

Balancer bolt loose???Or worn out balancer....

bolt is tight as buggery, is it possible for them to wobble when there old? a few people i know who have had clevos have never seen it before lol

It usually means the balancer is stuffed.

If it just started now then it must be the gilmer pulley.

Good idea not to run it until fixed, it wont be good for it.

It usually means the balancer is stuffed.

If it just started now then it must be the gilmer pulley.

Good idea not to run it until fixed, it wont be good for it.

its hard to say if it was like it before as i never took notice untill i put the gilmer on which is when i noticed it lol

im borrowing a pulley puller tomorrow and ill try my spare balancer on it if it still does it then id say its the gilmer drive.

Lot of piss-arsing around if it ends up being the gilmer pulley. Why not just mark it and then turn it 180 to see if it's out in the same place. Are you sure there isn't a bit of shit stuck behind it?  Not saying it isn't the balancer but it's normally the outer that shifts. The bore would have to be absolutely flogged for the centre to be out of wack, but then the original crank pulley would have been all over the place too.

Lot of piss-arsing around if it ends up being the gilmer pulley. Why not just mark it and then turn it 180 to see if it's out in the same place. Are you sure there isn't a bit of shit stuck behind it?  Not saying it isn't the balancer but it's normally the outer that shifts. The bore would have to be absolutely flogged for the centre to be out of wack, but then the original crank pulley would have been all over the place too.

spose thats easier lol, i made sure there was no crap built up before bolting the pulley on.