Server maintenance Read more... ×
Crebe

Xa xb etc tramp rods onto XR 1966 ute

Hi there Ford fans. I have an XR ute with an XB M75 Borgy about to be removed for a M78 AU ute diff. It off course will be full reco and shortening. I was wondering if any punters have used the XA style radius / tramp rods. I have not found much else available other than Caltracs which having an aluminium front pivot will sound a lot noisy from movement and road harshness. Not interested in the old school tramp bars, bolted to the underside of the springs. Just saw someone mention CRS ? Havnt seen anything on them but will look soon. For now anyone that has been able to fit the XA GT style to the older XR XT XW XY cars that can give me some advice would be appreciated.

i haven't seen it for over 5yrs but someone fitted an XE or XF sedan diff (coil setup with upper and lower control arms normally with watts link) and used the upper arms in XB GT style and welded on leaf spring pads onto the bottom of the axle tube and left the top arm mount fitted so it went  into an XE or XF ute. just made up a bracket on the chassis rail that matched up similar to the sedan setup. 

from memory it was in this thread below or if not must have been another site. 

Trying to find XA/XB tramp rods will be expensive. The ones off an LTD (P5 etc) were slightly longer, and may be easier to find. 

Good luck with it. I'm thinking about the Watts link rear end into my XP, so watching with interest.

Thanks for the info. I am still looking for a chance to score a set of gt or ltd etc radius bars and think i will be looking for a while. should be enough to control the power I hope to be using.

They do make those factory rods as a repro now . They do work well . 

Thinking out loud , Could maybe make up some rods like caltracs similar to the factory ones that go above the diff .