Sign in to follow this  
scottly

250 crossflow ignition coil advise needed

Hey guys, I have a 250 crossflow I’m trying to get started! The engine came from a ford xe with a electronic distributer (not efi type). I recently purchased a replacement ignition coil (goss brand) it states on the coil external resister required! Is that correct? I thought only points distributers required a ballast resistor.

Any help would be much appreciated thanks scott. 

4 hours ago, scottly said:

Hey guys, I have a 250 crossflow I’m trying to get started! The engine came from a ford xe with a electronic distributer (not efi type). I recently purchased a replacement ignition coil (goss brand) it states on the coil external resister required! Is that correct? I thought only points distributers required a ballast resistor.

Any help would be much appreciated thanks scott. 

do you have the original coil? try it on that if so. 

is it oil filled? or those plastic things (if it's the old type, they are reliable) if it's the modern ones, i've seen MANY (over 10) instances where they don't even work straight out of the box (i've had 2 personally in bosche brand failed immediately) 

points use a ballast resistor or resistor wire, electronic don't . can't see why the Goss one would say that.. only @Mr Polson if he's got time might be able to confirm what it should have if a replacement is used, i'd sooner fit a GT40 type oil filled coil even if it's second hand (i'm never sure if to use a GT40R or GT40 though, always forget that detail) 

8 hours ago, deankdx said:

do you have the original coil? try it on that if so. 

is it oil filled? or those plastic things (if it's the old type, they are reliable) if it's the modern ones, i've seen MANY (over 10) instances where they don't even work straight out of the box (i've had 2 personally in bosche brand failed immediately) 

points use a ballast resistor or resistor wire, electronic don't . can't see why the Goss one would say that.. only @Mr Polson if he's got time might be able to confirm what it should have if a replacement is used, i'd sooner fit a GT40 type oil filled coil even if it's second hand (i'm never sure if to use a GT40R or GT40 though, always forget that detail) 

Thanks for the reply dean! I will be out in the garage today and report back later. 

Yep, you're right. The ballast resistor is for points ignition, and the old Coke can coil has a little "R" after the brand name/number. EG. GT40 or the GT40r. 

Can also get them in the epoxy filled coil range too. 

Screenshot 2022-06-20 142717

You need the GT40 style.