Sign in to follow this  
adrianphu123

removing bearing cups from axle

Hey guys, thought i'd replace the axle bearings and seals while i have them out and wanted to know how to get the cups out from each axle tube.

thanks

adrian

Depending on how gunked up they are they generally pull out fairly easily. From memory i just made a hook out of thick wire and pulled them out. It was more fun getting the bearing off the axle. I useda die grinder with a small cutting disk to cut part way through the race and shattered it off with a cold chisel.

The last one I did was stuck in there good, possibly spun and welded itself. If cups are too hard to knock out with a drift or slide hammer, I run a bead of mig weld all round inside the cup, then as the weld cools, the cup shrinks and will literally fall out, every time. Just be careful not to weld the cup to the tube. You'll be in a world of shit if you do.

I dont really understand what you guys mean by knock it out with a drift, dont the cups push into the axle tube from the side until they seat? theres no way to get to it from behind. And what about installing a new one, whats the best way to go about that?

If you have a drift long enough, say 8 ft long... No seriously, it was a general statement about bearing cups. Welding them out is the most successful method i've used, but only do it if they're too tight to pull out.

Installing a new one should be as easy as slipping it in by hand. If it's too tight, there's probably a dag of metal or a galled housing, either of which can be fixed with a bit of emery cloth.

Thanks guys, just had a quick look, the cups do come out by hand (one side did anyway, havent looked at he otherside but im hoping its the same). I'll probably get a shop to remove the old ones and press new ones on