car10001

getting a better sound from a 6 cyl

hi everyone 

most of you lot know that have got a ba ghia 6 cyl and love it, however was wondering if there is a way to get it to sound closer to a v8 if not exact.

when the exhaust thats on it is worn out or when moneys there am planning to get a sports exhaust for it which may help a bit (hopefully will have the money before it wears out).

also thinking of extractors and a new cat converter given the age of car and the cat converter on it

what else would be needed to make it sound closer to a v8.

what type of sports exhaust and what type of cat converter and what type of extractors would give that but be roadworthy and are there any bolt on kits.

what are good brands.

seen the father with his vt holden v8 and its made me think about it

thanks

A Ghia is a luxury vehicle, so my advice is to keep it quiet, maybe a superturbo (chambered) muffler, if you have to.

Straight through exhausts on the non-turbo 6cyl's are terrible IMO, unless you're a P plater with a deaf-wish.

Holden 304 EFI V8's on the other-hand, can sound fantastic.

55 minutes ago, car10001 said:

seen the father with his vt holden v8 and its made me think about it

best way to sound awesome like a VT V8 is sell the ford and buy one. 

best sounding BA 6s i've heard have been stock, because they sound awful with a loud exhaust, I'm another fan of keeping a ghia completely original.  you don't want it looking or sounding like a P plater car.. unless you are looking to make bogan friends or police attention.. save your money for more important things

the sohc 4.0 from EA to AU sound better especially with a different cam.

dont want it loud just sound nice, what systems is there and how many mufflers would you need

would twin mufflers (means middle and back) give a nice sound but not too loud

1 minute ago, car10001 said:

dont want it loud just sound nice, what systems is there and how many mufflers would you need

would twin mufflers (means middle and back) give a nice sound but not too loud

i reckon you'll have to wait until you hear one that sounds like what you like and ask them. 

or spend a while on youtube searching Barra exhaust or BA exhaust, BF exhaust etc 

would you want to spend $1000 on  exhaust that could be spent on things to make your goal closer (tools like tester, things to sell for profit, etc)

11 minutes ago, deankdx said:

best way to sound awesome like a VT V8 is sell the ford and buy one. 

best sounding BA 6s i've heard have been stock, because they sound awful with a loud exhaust, I'm another fan of keeping a ghia completely original.  you don't want it looking or sounding like a P plater car.. unless you are looking to make bogan friends or police attention.. save your money for more important things

the sohc 4.0 from EA to AU sound better especially with a different cam.

a lot of e series and au sound great with a 2.5 even with the back muffler as well.

how would you get your ba to sound like the fe ltd did taking off about 35 seconds into the video in the link (drove the oldmans fg and the engine in that is pretty much same as a ba both being barra and his fg sounded close to the ltd in the video)

9 minutes ago, car10001 said:

a lot of e series and au sound great with a 2.5 even with the back muffler as well.

how would you get your ba to sound like the fe ltd did taking off about 35 seconds into the video in the link (drove the oldmans fg and the engine in that is pretty much same as a ba both being barra and his fg sounded close to the ltd in the video)

you've linked a crossflow engine, they just sound better..  here's the one i had in an XF wagon stock everything. (carby engine on LPG) 

Only one I’ve heard that doesn’t sound like a wet fart is a standard turbo exhaust, fitted to a NA car, with the two pipes at the front merged into one to bolt up to the back of the cat.

my son has a xforce on his XR6 that’s going in the bin as soon as my hoist is free.🤮

58 minutes ago, ESPSIX said:

Only one I’ve heard that doesn’t sound like a wet fart is a standard turbo exhaust, fitted to a NA car, with the two pipes at the front merged into one to bolt up to the back of the cat.

my son has a xforce on his XR6 that’s going in the bin as soon as my hoist is free.🤮

Will the standard turbo exhaust fit the standard ba and what’s is diameter of pipes

Would the standard turbo exhaust and extractors and new standard or high flow cat converter get that deep sound like the ltd did, most aus have close to that sound and the oldmans fg had that sound 

how would you get that deep engine and exhaust sound like most e series and that ltd and the oldmans barra fg sounding close.

would the xr6 turbo exhaust with dual pipes going through single mufflers give that sound and will the xr6 turbo exhaust fit the na xr6/standard na barra, ifso how would you connect it to the standard non turbo cat converter and manifold