Server maintenance Read more... ×
motoSycho

1992 5.0 into XF ute.

1 hour ago, motoSycho said:

And the bellhousing is ordered and on its way! It's a happening thing!

woo! 

so what did you get? assume a CRS bell housing for windsor to T5,  is it cable or hydraulic?

i heard the BA manual clutch master cyl/pedal looked possible to retrofit to other cars..(i haven't seen one)  

On that subject.... I went through this whole T5 to V8 thing a few years back, the problem is that there was no factory T5/V8 combo until the E-series came out, which has a deeper bellhousing by 16mm and longer input to suit. So you need to know what T5 will bolt to the bellhousing you're getting and also what tooth count your flywheel will need to be to match it (157 or 164). The flywheel needs to be a later (post-82) 50oz imbalance vs the earlier 28oz.

I ended up using the 6 cyl T5 out of my EA/EF which has the same input shaft length as X and E-series 6s and the older, pre-XF V8s, (ie T5, Toploader and single rail). I used an old Toploader iron bellhousing modified to suit the T5 bolt pattern, which was to suit the 164 tooth Clevo flywheel. It works, nothing broken yet.

If your bellhousing is the shorter input type, ie to suit the 6 cylinder T5s, I'd advise to use the EB2-ED ratio box with the 3.25 1st gear. Mine is shorter at 3.50 and it's a bit too short for my liking. The EB/ED boxes also have a taller 5th gear.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, deankdx said:

woo! 

so what did you get? assume a CRS bell housing for windsor to T5,  is it cable or hydraulic?

i heard the BA manual clutch master cyl/pedal looked possible to retrofit to other cars..(i haven't seen one)  

Yep I got the CRS bellhousing. There are two for the 302/5.0, you need to make sure you get the one for the EFI motor. It is cable, which is fine by me.

@gerg the CRS bellhousing uses the 157 tooth flywheel. So I'll hunt down one of them with the 50oz imbalance, and a clutch pack to suit. I'll also need to get the shorter EF V8 clutch cable, but that should be difficult as all this stuff is readily available now. A quick search on Google bought up a heap of shops, as well as Ebay, that has it all in stock.

I also picked up the imp-metric adaptor for the diff brake lines to the XF.

[mention=244]gerg[/mention] what extractors did you use?
Just used $100 Clevo ones mate, really nothing flash. Yours should take XR-XY Windsor ones if the engine mounts are similar, also depending on your bellhousing being a left or right hand starter mount.

Clutch cable might be an issue too, I remember my 6 cyl Cortina eating clutch cables because they ran too close to the extractors. I ended up getting a custom longer one made that I could route away from the heat, solved it from then on.

1 hour ago, gerg said:

Clutch cable might be an issue too, I remember my 6 cyl Cortina eating clutch cables because they ran too close to the extractors

i'd definitely get a heat sleeve (fitted a bit on My clutch cable and the accel cable of My crossflow) and i made a shield to clamp onto the extractors also for same reason (heat to starter motor also)

On the subject of starters... If a LH mounted one uses the same as a RH V8, you can mod a BA 6 cyl one (plenty of threads on here show you how), they're compact, readily available and cheap.

That looks nice, it didn't make 795hp at the tyres by itself though. There was obviously some extra lung capacity shoved down it to make that number.

I think your heads will be the limitation on your 302. They'll be the E7TEs with tiny ports and even worse exhausts. It wouldn't matter what intake you put on, they're good for about 300hp with a reasonable street cam. There's a reason why Ford went to the GT40P heads for their performance versions. You could tidy up your stockers if you're feeling sporty with the die grinder, you can make them ok I guess.

Oh Lord no, it probably had a turbo or blower attached to it.

I'd be well happy with 300hp in the old girl, she wouldn't know what hit her! Planning to get the motor in, get it engineered and collect some bits and pull it out later in the year for a freshen up and warming over.

Worth tracking down a pair of GT40P heads now?

If you can find a set for a reasonable price without the covid tax and barn dust allowance, yeah sure, no harm in keeping them aside for when you're ready, maybe get them freshened up while you're there. Just a heads-up, they do need their own extractors as the flange is different due to the spark plugs being at a different angle. You can use the normal ones apparently but it's a shit job to do the plugs

6 hours ago, motoSycho said:

Oh Lord no, it probably had a turbo or blower attached to it.

I'd be well happy with 300hp in the old girl, she wouldn't know what hit her! Planning to get the motor in, get it engineered and collect some bits and pull it out later in the year for a freshen up and warming over.

3 hours ago, gerg said:

If you can find a set for a reasonable price without the covid tax and barn dust allowance, yeah sure, no harm in keeping them aside for when you're ready, maybe get them freshened up while you're there. Just a heads-up, they do need their own extractors as the flange is different due to the spark plugs being at a different angle. You can use the normal ones apparently but it's a shit job to do the plugs

this guy covered the differences in extractors/heads (into sigma.. which may be interesting for fitment to XA-XG also?)
also ways to fix some of the issues with off the shelf pipes

Met with the engineer this morning, and all good.

Not really as big a deal as I thought. 

Other than the swap itself, just a couple of little things I need to change.

The big things that I thought might be an issue are fine.

eg: Even with those huge tyres my track width is fine!

9 minutes ago, motoSycho said:

Other than the swap itself, just a couple of little things I need to change.

The big things that I thought might be an issue are fine.

eg: Even with those huge tyres my track width is fine!

COOL! amazed at the tyre width pass
if you could keep us informed of the process it would help others out no doubt.

Measured centre of tyre to centre of tyre, I'm allowed 1601mm on the front, and 1608mm (with an E series diff) on the rear. The rears will be close, maybe a touch over on the fronts. I might have to,,,,, borrow some narrower rims and tyres for the inspection.

But the flares, bonnets scoops, seats etc., no issue. A few changes to make to the dash, change the speedo from a GPS unit to a wired in job. That's easy, I can put a SAAS speedo in there. I'll have to have the idiot lights labelled, and the shift pattern needs to be on the shift knob!

Other than that, I'll transfer everything from the Fairlane over, all the emissions stuff. I might try and get the OEM extractors and exhaust in as well so that I am covered for the emissions and sound test. I can swap it out for better afterwards. Brake test will be fine as I'll be upgrading the braking with the disc diff and I'll give the fronts some love as well.

I might try and get the OEM extractors and exhaust in as well

i'm pretty sure only one pipe or 2 needed mods on those factory pipes into X series.. 

actually that was into XP that i'm thinking of.. might not be an issue on XF .. soon find out, exhaust mob with some fabrication skills could do it easy...(aka probably not midas etc)

4 hours ago, deankdx said:

looks good, got some light truck trailer tyres also.. 

that van looks good for the money too.. stick another diff in it and sell it again for $1000 after a wash

Oh it is rusted out!  I'll grab some photos tomorrow.

So I paid $600 for it. I'm happy with that for the diff, fuel tank etc. that I can use. I'll sell off the bits that are usable and then scrap the shell.

Guy I bought it off, paid $2999 for it last September!

On 5/12/2022 at 3:02 PM, motoSycho said:

Oh it is rusted out!  I'll grab some photos tomorrow.

Should be a good project!

I'm interested to see where it's gone rusty.

9 minutes ago, deankdx said:

yeah rusty XH ..i guess the value might have been in the refrigerator stuff originally?

I think the bloke I bought it off got ripped bad. I'll have to cut the floor of that fibreglass area out to get to the tank. Guy who originally put that in must have been convinced he would never have to change a fuel pump!