motoSycho

1992 5.0 into XF ute.

I've had a search about, and lots of good stuff. So I thought I would start a thread to collect some info and advice on slipping a 5.0 Windsor from a 1992 Fairlane into my XF ute.

I'm meeting with the engineer next Thursday to have a chat and get started on what needs doing.

What I think I know thus far, in no particular order. If I have it wrong please let me know.

Engine mounts- V8 engine mounts from XE back will bolt it straight in.

Extractors- Any old school style for a 302. I don't have a steering rack to clear.

Gearbox- It has the Fairlane auto on it. But I want to run my T5 that is bolted up to my crossflow. I can use the T5 and a bellhousing from CRS? Or I track down and buy a T5 from an E-series V8 5.0?

Diff- I can use a LSD disc brake diff and leaf springs from an EF wagon?

Fuel Tank- Hunt down a fuel tank and lines from an XG ute?

Heaps more of course, but that should get me started.

4 hours ago, motoSycho said:

Extractors- Any old school style for a 302.

I wouldn't say any old school style will fit, but check out Pacemaker ph4030, tuned length. No good with power steering, but will fit 302W. Or PH4020, tri-Y, ok with power steering. I'm sure you'll find something off the shelf.

42 minutes ago, bear351c said:

Cool.  Sounds like my XP build. Got a 302 (1993? I think) Weiand carby manifold, T5 out of an ED 6 cyl,, and a Watts link from a EL XR6.  Will be following with interest. 

Nice! I think I might look at the Holley Sniper setup when it is all in and done. What flywheel did you use?

Haven't got that far, mate.  Still waiting on rego mob to approve my purchase. 

I did some research on the Sniper, it looks good, but, a lot of unhappy customers in the 'States. Modules failing etc, easy for them to get a replacement, maybe not so for us Aussies.

5 hours ago, bear351c said:

Haven't got that far, mate.  Still waiting on rego mob to approve my purchase. 

I did some research on the Sniper, it looks good, but, a lot of unhappy customers in the 'States. Modules failing etc, easy for them to get a replacement, maybe not so for us Aussies.

Ahh no worries.

Hey can I use a sedan diff, have all the brackets cut off and have the leaf spring mounts welded on?

3 hours ago, motoSycho said:

Ahh no worries.

Hey can I use a sedan diff, have all the brackets cut off and have the leaf spring mounts welded on?

if you don't want to even buy perches it's been done like this(flat plate welded across cut off mounts with locating hole in the middle)
8ucKGYA.jpg

3 hours ago, motoSycho said:

Ahh no worries.

i am fairly sure the Fairlane tailshaft is the right length also but it's probably got the same end on it as your ute one (1991?) so you could use either depending on condition . 

hand brake cable to be used also. to suit the rear discs

I was thinking I could use the Fairlane diff. But it isn't an LSD. It's ratio is 3.27:1.

The drum brake diff in Ratty is an LSD and it is a 2.92.

I guess I could transfer all the disc brake set up from the Fairlane  to my LSD diff. 

Or keep looking for an E series LSD diff. 

3 minutes ago, motoSycho said:

I was thinking I could use the Fairlane diff. But it isn't an LSD. It's ratio is 3.27:1.

The drum brake diff in Ratty is an LSD and it is a 2.92.

I guess I could transfer all the disc brake set up from the Fairlane  to my LSD diff. 

Or keep looking for an E series LSD diff. 

most fairlanes have LSD, 

disc conversion to drum diff isn't easy

I thought that as well. But I lifted it up and spun a wheel and the other one didn't move. 

The tag on the housing just says High Performance Use Approved Lubricant Only.

Maybe it's fucked?

1 minute ago, motoSycho said:

I thought that as well. But I lifted it up and spun a wheel and the other one didn't move. 

The tag on the housing just says High Performance Use Approved Lubricant Only.

Maybe it's fucked?

yeah be just worn, OR wrong oil, or maybe needs new oil

the ute diff if standard will be 25 spline and the NC diff 28 spline axles

drum backing plate has a different orientation on the bolt up pattern(have seen this welded and redrilled on the alloy backing plate for caliper mount.

wagon LSD is rare  EAEB ED EF EL(ef el brakes are a bit harder to make the hand brake work from memory and the brake lines)

XG and XH ute diffs in LSD are more common and probably your best chance of finding one ready to just bolt in.
your engineer will want discs on rear most likely. 

diffs with lsd and discs used to be easy to find in many ratios.. the newest one that will bolt straight in is 25yrs old nearly (XH )

6 hours ago, motoSycho said:

Ahh no worries.

As Dean said, no probs. Don't even have to cut the brackets off if they don't interfere with anything, just weld the spring perches on. Make sure you get the pinion angle correct. 

12 hours ago, bear351c said:

As Dean said, no probs. Don't even have to cut the brackets off if they don't interfere with anything, just weld the spring perches on. Make sure you get the pinion angle correct. 

Being able to use a sedan diff might make it easier to find what I want.

I'm looking for an LSD, but what ratio should I aim for?

Planning to run the T5 that is in Ratty now.

I'm no expert on ratio's, but with the extra gear in the 5 speed, I'd guess at 3.00 to 1. Anyone else.?? 

I'd be keen to find out myself, as I'm shoving a T5 in the XP.........

...one day.

21 minutes ago, bear351c said:

I'm no expert on ratio's, but with the extra gear in the 5 speed, I'd guess at 3.00 to 1. Anyone else.?? 

...one day.

It's a fascinating and confusing science 😛

Anyway, might have a lead on an XH panelvan diff setup. It's a 3.23, just waiting to see if it is an LSD.

52 minutes ago, motoSycho said:

Being able to use a sedan diff might make it easier to find what I want.

I'm looking for an LSD, but what ratio should I aim for?

Planning to run the T5 that is in Ratty now.

23 minutes ago, bear351c said:

...one day.

The XR8 EB ran 3.23 (XR6 had 3.45) 

bloke i worked with fitted the 3.45 to his XR8 and said it was much better all round. 

I have a mate with a 3.45 auto 5 litre in EF and it's still cruisy and goes ok

depends what you are doing with it really. 

having the 5litre if it's got stock heads, they are not rocket ships, a GOOD mild crossflow would be on par or better performance wise. but the sound is what you want mainly. 

so I'd go 3.23 or 3.45 there's not much difference between the 2. in overdrive they'd be around 2000rpm at 100km in 5th for 3.23 and 2200 ish for 3.45 but you will get better take off with those two ratios than anything taller and if you used the auto it would probably be happier (manual might be happy with 3.08 ish) 

Standard 5.0l diff ratio throughout all e series was 3.23, btr and t5 have the same od ratio (.68) v8 falcons, fairmont, fairlane and xr8 rarely had an lsd unless it was optioned that way series 2 el xr8 is the exception as the standard dif was 3.45 lsd, other 5.0l cars that came with 3.45 lsd standard were eb gt, ed sprint and el gt, e series didn't run a very large range of ratios (eb to el, most of ea also had 2.77 as they had bw 40 instead of btr 4 speed) 3.08 being the tallest and 3.45 being the lowest in the middle was mostly 3.23 but I have seen some 3.27, based on a standard height tyre 205 65 15 (this is just from memory so may be a little off)
3.08@ 100kph= 1700rpm
3.23/3.27@100kph= 2000rpm
3.45@ 100kph= 2200rpm
9 times our of 10 swapping to 3.45 in any e series (6 cyl or v8) would usually yield better fuel economy than the other ratios

Thanks for that gents.

Is it worth hanging out to find an LSD?  It's not like I'm going to be pulling a lot of fully sik skids 😛

I'm going the Windsor because I just like the idea of the V8. I like the way they sound and drive. And I'm old, so a V8 was always the one to have. I'll give it a clean up, a decent exhaust and maybe a cam.

The motor gets the old Fairlane moving along, so should go alright in Ratty.

14 minutes ago, motoSycho said:

V8 was always the one to have. I'll give it a clean up, a decent exhaust and maybe a cam.

what size exhaust is on the ute now, it's probably up to a stock 5 litre if it's 2 and 1/4 or 2.5" or bigger.  singles sound good on V8s in My opinion. 

LSD in a ute with tyres as wide as you have is probably not needed,  but in the wet it would get better traction for take off/drifting a roundabout etc. 

i'd consider just making the NC diff fit, then you can see if the worn LSD is good enough(probably is) and if you like the ratio. 

keep an eye out for a 3.45 LSD in the meantime. 

what kills open center(or weak LSDs)  is single wheel burnouts (or getting bogged spinning one wheel) as it heats up the pins the spider gears run on and makes them snap when you least want it to. 

14 minutes ago, deankdx said:

what size exhaust is on the ute now, it's probably up to a stock 5 litre if it's 2 and 1/4 or 2.5" or bigger.  singles sound good on V8s in My opinion. 

LSD in a ute with tyres as wide as you have is probably not needed,  but in the wet it would get better traction for take off/drifting a roundabout etc. 

i'd consider just making the NC diff fit, then you can see if the worn LSD is good enough(probably is) and if you like the ratio. 

keep an eye out for a 3.45 LSD in the meantime. 

what kills open center(or weak LSDs)  is single wheel burnouts (or getting bogged spinning one wheel) as it heats up the pins the spider gears run on and makes them snap when you least want it to. 

It is a standard 2 1/4 into an itty bitty muffler that has "Sports Muffler" on it, so you know it's good 😜, and then straight out the back.

Funny you should say about drifting around roundabouts, one thing the old girl does well is slide. Really predictable, and a shite load of fun. She does have a lot of tyre back there!

3 minutes ago, motoSycho said:

It is a standard 2 1/4 into an itty bitty muffler that has "Sports Muffler" on it, so you know it's good 😜, and then straight out the back.

Funny you should say about drifting around roundabouts, one thing the old girl does well is slide. Really predictable, and a shite load of fun. She does have a lot of tyre back there!

yeah My XF ute had 235s or 245s on the back, and when it rained wet roundabouts were the only time it would spin the wheels(ended up backwards only once, out of probably 1000 times.. think some diesel was on the road that day.. up the road from a servo)

standard XF ute exhaust would be 2" probably ..  most of the NC exhaust would fit if it's any good still

27 minutes ago, motoSycho said:

Victory is mine!!!

Picked up a 3.23 LSD disc brake diff with the leaf springs etc. out of an XH for $600,,,,,,, and it comes with a free panelvan attached to it 😛

if it's not a rust bucket,  stick the 5 litre in it, and make an XH Sundowner . be MINT 

then buy another "parts car" so you can have another 5 projects.. ask @SPArKy_Dave if you aren't familiar.