Server maintenance Read more... ×
bear351c

170 Log engine refresh.

Cheers mate.

Yeah, I actually looked at the Offy set up, but, this is just a refresh. So, rings and bearings and gaskets. I've never pulled a pre-crossy apart, to this extent, so now I can say i've pulled out the crank and cam, had a play around, and will rebuild it to stock. Not sure if I'll need this engine, (might need it for rego, then engine swap) SA motor reg can be "difficult" at times... 

Had to strip it down to see if it was more than just a boat anchor, and it looks like it's very rebuildable. Just needs some TLC. Stripped the oil pump, it's waaay worn, and I couldn't spin the rotors, so total strip, clean, lube with a sand down on the end plate, and packed it with grease.  

All was going sweet, now got Covid........ stuck indoors for a week. Ebay engine parts here we come..! 

Shit run mate, hope you get through it ok. A lot of people I know got put right on their arse with it for days.
My Dad was telling Me about 30yrs ago of taking the 144-250 log head and milling off the inlet log and making a better manifold(he was half considering doing it for My brothers XB engine that he bought a "Yella Terra" head from swap meet for(just bigger valves, probably throat porting but still had the full log. be interesting to mount an XF style plenum on to one with banana type runners etc. 

Sounds like it might have been a thing to do where a running engine was too good to throw out so they made use of it in a boat, etc. I remember something similar where they milled the log and runners off, bored the ports round and epoxied or pressed steel tubes in to make long runners for either mechanical injection or multi carbs.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

So, after a coupla days on the couch with the Rona, I got back out into the shed, and finished stripping the big block 170.  Crank out, cam out, wash and degrease, kissed the lifter bores with a brake hone, and ran the 3 prong hone down the cylinders. 

Angry face...!!  Punched out the little welshy, found the last one behind it.!  

IMG_20220506_121345

IMG_20220506_122942

Cyl 3 looks like it had a water leak, or was just sitting for years with the valves open.

IMG_20220504_122828

Look at the dodgy castings from the Sixties.. Didn't even make it a SQUARE..!    Held the gasket up and there ain't much you can do about this. The casting on the back is cut back at 45*, and you easily grind through, and 'cos this is a log manifold, the whole head then goes in the bin.

IMG_20220506_121332IMG_20220506_121707

All the bits, from the guts of the engine, set out with typical ADHD fashion...

IMG_20220504_133732

Cylinder 5 had a piece of piston ring, or a chipped valve, piece of gravel bouncing around inside. There's some damage to the piston, and the head. Nothing too serious.

IMG_20220506_121242

.......now to make a valve spring compressor.

So, after a coupla days on the couch with the Rona, I got back out into the shed, and finished stripping the big block 170.  Crank out, cam out, wash and degrease, kissed the lifter bores with a brake hone, and ran the 3 prong hone down the cylinders. 
Angry face...!!  Punched out the little welshy, found the last one behind it.!  

52054194182_4fc4eca81f_b.jpg  
52055271888_9f422712b2_b.jpg  
Cyl 3 looks like it had a water leak, or was just sitting for years with the valves open.

52055272558_5cdc55ce06_b.jpg  
Look at the dodgy castings from the Sixties.. Didn't even make it a SQUARE..!    Held the gasket up and there ain't much you can do about this. The casting on the back is cut back at 45*, and you easily grind through, and 'cos this is a log manifold, the whole head then goes in the bin.

52055272013_4f6b4d4a51_b.jpg52055272818_47e5e39759_b.jpg  
All the bits, from the guts of the engine, set out with typical ADHD fashion...

52055725150_7289a783eb_b.jpg  
Cylinder 5 had a piece of piston ring, or a chipped valve, piece of gravel bouncing around inside. There's some damage to the piston, and the head. Nothing too serious.

52054194382_0fe8ae28ff_b.jpg  
.......now to make a valve spring compressor.

The last one I did i basically just neatened up the castings in the exhaust ports and concentrated on the bowl area/cleaning up reshaping the guides, I think I only spent about 1/2 an hour on each port, woke it up though, I wish I still has pics of the 170 head I ported for my old xp, these pics are from the 250 head I milled the carb flange off and made a 2 barrel holley adapter
f4b7d971086b5c015ec7eeac595cd228.jpg

5ae242d97da17c053e6d24488eaaa681.jpg

6 hours ago, bear351c said:

Cylinder 5 had a piece of piston ring, or a chipped valve, piece of gravel bouncing around inside. There's some damage to the piston, and the head. Nothing too serious.52054194382_0fe8ae28ff_b.jpg

is that possibly a crack in the exhaust valve?

Yep, the exhaust valve is cracked.  Needed to find my valve spring compressor, to be sure. Thought the valve just had a scratch on on the base, to go along with all the other damage, but, I cut up an old ring spanner and used a C-clamp, necessity is the mother an all that.........  

IMG_20220507_115439

Valve is cactus.........

IMG_20220507_115452

But, on a good note, one of the sump pan bolts that was snapped off flush, has been persuaded to part company with the block. Good ole left handed drill bits....

IMG_20220506_145858

Numbers are starting to add up, now.  Full gasket set, mains, big ends, welshies, exhaust valve, rings, paint...... not sure its worth the effort. This was just a boredom project while I was babysitting the Corona virus, not sure the 170 is worth $300-400 to anyone. I thought I might have to stick it in the Hardtop (rego red tape in SA.......don't get me started) but She'll be V8 swapped anyways.  Still would need to check the trans, diff, find some misc bolts, starter motor, radiator etc.....  

Prob think better when I'm back on the REAL Corona's......

23 minutes ago, bear351c said:

not sure the 170 is worth $300-400 to anyone.

yeah that's getting up there.  
@Thom might know if there's any demand for one,. be better than a 144 or something in an XK or similar and seeing it's reasonable fresh it might have some value

Yeah, most guys ditched the 170 and went 200, 250 2V etc... Mine's an early block, only 4 mains, later units had 7. I guess if you're a purist and want a 170 Pursuit, but, that would be a REAL small customer market.

Just now, bear351c said:

Yeah, most guys ditched the 170 and went 200, 250 2V etc...

probably pretty much extinct now though (and the 250 isn't a super easy bolt in) 

yeah that's getting up there.  
[mention=43]Thom[/mention] might know if there's any demand for one,. be better than a 144 or something in an XK or similar and seeing it's reasonable fresh it might have some value

Good ones are starting to pull into the $500 ish range if they are proved to be a good runner, especially if its motor and box, early falcons are really popular right now, at least the pre crossflows can be made to sound pretty good with a dual exhaust (if you do go that route then you'd be able to keep most of the same exhaust with the windsor) its all because of the shared centre exhaust port combined with a set of split headers makes them sound good, you can pick up power by putting a divider in that port but then they sound exactly like a crossflow, here's a couple of videos of pre xflow's with dual exhaust