Server maintenance Read more... ×
victor

why rebuild a crossflow?

With the price of N/A Barra's only a few hundred dollars, why on earth would I think of rebuilding the EFI crossflow in my ZK and trying to extract any kind of performance out of it? 

There just doesn't seem to be any reasons to throw money at it, despite me having quite a fondness to the old tractor engine.

I do not particularly want to go through an engine conversion, but a Barra seems to be the only thing that makes sense.

Am I wrong?

i'm 100% on board for #barratheworld....😎

33 minutes ago, victor said:

With the price of N/A Barra's only a few hundred dollars,

the initial engine investment is cheap, but you need modified loom, unlocked computer, sway bar, upgrade fuel pump,  depending where you are engineers certificate, etc so factor that into any dollar related rationale....im sure it would still come out cheaper than EFI crossflow rebuild ...

the good news is your car being EFI is a big head start ....

Nostalgia, some level of originality, engineering/licensing considerations, emissions considerations and the logistics of keeping a non EFI car not EFI (additional wiring, fuel supply etc).

You could say "why would anyone think of restoring a ZK Fairlane AT ALL when a nice BF Fairlane can be bought for less than $10,000."

No one ever said car enthusiasts were motivated by fuel efficiency or whether their project is economically a good idea. We do what we want...?

10 hours ago, ESPSIX said:

Don’t forget the 20 in Simmons to complete the Barra conversion.🤮🤮

Least I’m not the only one that really don’t like Simmons . 

13 hours ago, dex said:

Least I’m not the only one that really don’t like Simmons . 

I forgot the final piece of the “bogan” pack, the reverse cowl on the bonnet.

there is only one wheel worse than Simmons, those black “drag style” wheels with the fake bead locks!🤮🤮🤮

On 3/11/2022 at 8:02 AM, Outback Jack said:

Because a Crossy with a carb sounds mint with a nice cam......and you have a mountain of parts.
emoji40.pngemoji106.png

Sent from my motorola edge 20 pro using Tapatalk

as far as a rebuild goes, crowcams still stock alot of top end parts, but there does not seem to be a wealth of options for the bottom end. ACL do not seem to offer a piston set any more.

Common thing is people think barra swap is easy and dead cheap. Till they keep finding stuff thats needed and how much they can not do. Equals expensive. 

Xflow needs ALOT to make power and be reliable but its rarely what people do and or use and then when results are not what they wanted there blame the engine, not the combination. 

Then people think go barra cos there poor decisions.TBH the barra platform is waaaaaaay better but it has so many more years development on it so it should be too. But people expect Barra type performanceon xflow money. Its not a thing.

Clevo fits.

Just sayin' .....
Gone past the point of crazy money on this side of the ditch mate. People wanting big dollars for worn out blocks etc etc.

I would love a nice mild 351, hp per cube sort of deal. But ain't gonna happen. Not nicely anyway.

On 4/14/2022 at 10:56 AM, bear351c said:

Clevo fits.

Just sayin' .....

I now think that is the route I will go. Despite the Barra being a great option, I will enjoy something more period correct. Clevo parts are readily available and its not too hard to get a few modest horsies out of them vs $$ invested.

21 hours ago, Slow250XC said:

Gone past the point of crazy money on this side of the ditch mate. People wanting big dollars for worn out blocks etc etc.

I would love a nice mild 351, hp per cube sort of deal. But ain't gonna happen. Not nicely anyway.

Yeah, I get it. You would have to spend a fair amount of coin to get horsepower out of the Crossy, would that much money buy you a stock 230HP Clevo.?  Obviously things are different in everyones home town. Still keen to see the build..👍

Yeah, I get it. You would have to spend a fair amount of coin to get horsepower out of the Crossy, would that much money buy you a stock 230HP Clevo.?  Obviously things are different in everyones home town. Still keen to see the build..
One day i will put my xflow on a dyno, hope to get 230-250hp out of it with the 600vs carby. But i have done nothing to fix the rusty body it sits in since my last project thread update. Kids and too many other projects, bikes and boat.