Server maintenance Read more... ×
Searley

Soluble Oil instead of Coolant.

Hello Fordys, I've come across stories of people mixing soluble oil (ie machinists cutting oil) with demin water to use in their cooling systems. Apparently its good for the water pump bearing and makes the water passages smooth and shiny and offers some anti-corrosion power. However this seems to be with Vintage & Veteran vehicles that would have cast-iron heads. How would a soluble oil & demin water go in todays Alloy heads? It sounds good but could it have adverse effects? Thanks for any Advice or Opinions I won't be offended.

i have no idea but..  i'd speak to a radiator joint, head reco mob or someone like @Mr Polson who may be able to ask suppliers if coolants/antifreeze have a lubricant of sorts in them?(they are slippery and drag racing strips HATE it when it's on the track, doesn't dry out) 

a mate of mine "fixed" a grey fergie tractor water pump with GREASE, can't remember what he did though (whether he pumped it in the seal leaky hole or removed it and packed it somehow?) the difference is, that might have been an old crusty thing with a leather seal in it?

We used that stuff in Mercedes and MAN back at the gov't buses, granted they're mostly iron but I don't recall having any corrosion issues with any of the alloy or zinc components.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

i have no idea but..  i'd speak to a radiator joint, head reco mob or someone like [mention=21]Mr Polson[/mention] who may be able to ask suppliers if coolants/antifreeze have a lubricant of sorts in them?(they are slippery and drag racing strips HATE it when it's on the track, doesn't dry out) 

a mate of mine "fixed" a grey fergie tractor water pump with GREASE, can't remember what he did though (whether he pumped it in the seal leaky hole or removed it and packed it somehow?) the difference is, that might have been an old crusty thing with a leather seal in it?

I know that if you put concentrate in without first diluting, the pump can leak because glycol is too "slippery" or has a much lower surface tension than water, and can weep past the ceramic seal.

You would be pushing to find any soluble oil, these days.!!   It's fine for use in any machinery, but, I don't know about the boiling point. The advantage of Coolant, is it's available anywhere, high boiling point, corrosion inhibitor built in, etc, etc.  As with all things, regular maintenance, (changing the coolant every year or two, flushing the system ...) is very important. 

You would be pushing to find any soluble oil, these days.!!   It's fine for use in any machinery, but, I don't know about the boiling point. The advantage of Coolant, is it's available anywhere, high boiling point, corrosion inhibitor built in, etc, etc.  As with all things, regular maintenance, (changing the coolant every year or two, flushing the system ...) is very important. 
I think the old Castrol or Nulon inhibitor is pretty close, it's not an anti-freeze/boil as such but does the trick for corrosion protection. If running an 82 or 87 thermostat with a decently high pressure radiator cap, I think that's enough headroom to not worry about boiling it in a hurry. Running 30% glycol only increases the boiling point by 5 degrees or so, not really much to worry about on a grand scale. Biggest issue in modern times is electrolysis with alloy radiators, especially the eBay ones with questionable metallurgy in them. It's a must to earth them off to the chassis to avoid stray currents, etc.

Yeah, I remember selling the Nulon oil back in the day. As you said, it's the electrolysis (different kinds of metals) that cause issues, with water pumps, timing covers etc.... One reason why I stay away from alloy heads.

......prob more to do with the price.!!

LMAO.