motoSycho

Which 4.0 into Ratty XF Ute?

Time to start thinking about changing out my motor. The motor I have in it still has blow by. And whilst it sounds good, doesn't have the Go to match.

I have a heap of 250 Crossflow motors and spares. But I'm honestly looking at going a SOHC 4.0 of some sort. Not sure that I want,  or can afford to put the ubiquitous Barra in.

So is a lntech or an XR6 VCT worth swapping to?

Gday, the n/a barra swap is straight forward, i converted my XE sedan in a weekend during 2019 (barra, t5 with au bellhousing, ebay brought pre made 6 wire to hookup loom and unlocked computer)....did have some troubles with the computer settings which were mostly rectified by a mobile tuning guy afterwards (fault on behalf of the original guy who unlocked), still need to get the temp gauge and handbrake working but its great to drive. 

I recently did the AU VCT swap into my xh, and previously done AU VCT into my EF, both again straight forward, aside from the sump mods required, both have J3 tuning chips and are smooth as, but should have just done barra.  the AU VCT engines getting harder to find in good condition and therefore are anywhere from 400-1000...i think my barra conversion owes me 2k all up...

2 minutes ago, deankdx said:

Tuff Mounts do a sway bar that allows them to fit now. and mounts

https://www.tuffmounts.com.au/product/conversion-kits/tuff-mounts-barra-conversion-kit-into-xa-xf-ford-falcon/

yes good point forgot about that, i used that sway bar, and you can just use normal xe/xf base plates and EA-ED upper mounts, no need for the fancy stuff unless you want to spend the money on it, 

i swapped to XE/ZK EFI petrol tank also using EF fuel lines, on a xf ute i would just source XF EFI tank or XG/XH tank and lines

39 minutes ago, Outback Jack said:

Thom has a thread on it, if you can't find it maybe one of the mods can post a link, pweeeeease...emoji106.png

Sent from my motorola edge 20 pro using Tapatalk

Found it, reading through it now 😁

1 minute ago, wok said:

i swapped to XE/ZK EFI petrol tank also using EF fuel lines, on a xf ute i would just source XF EFI tank or XG/XH tank and lines

XF utes/vans never had efi, 

you can use XG/XH tank but the fuel gauge won't work (could add a universal one could possibly work off the XGH sender)

20 minutes ago, wok said:

Gday, the n/a barra swap is straight forward, i converted my XE sedan in a weekend during 2019 (barra, t5 with au bellhousing, ebay brought pre made 6 wire to hookup loom and unlocked computer)....did have some troubles with the computer settings which were mostly rectified by a mobile tuning guy afterwards (fault on behalf of the original guy who unlocked), still need to get the temp gauge and handbrake working but its great to drive. 

I recently did the AU VCT swap into my xh, and previously done AU VCT into my EF, both again straight forward, aside from the sump mods required, both have J3 tuning chips and are smooth as, but should have just done barra.  the AU VCT engines getting harder to find in good condition and therefore are anywhere from 400-1000...i think my barra conversion owes me 2k all up...

There are a few AU XR6 VCT motors on FB marketplace at the moment, $500-700.

But I am wondering if I just give in and join the DarkSide and go the Barra and be done with it. Kinda getting tired of swapping motors. I really wanted to keep my manual, but you said I can use an AU bellhousing and bolt my T5 up.

I

2 minutes ago, Outback Jack said:

If he runs carbs he can run the xf tank ....

Got mate in Tamworth that has an AU XR6 VCT motor that he is running a carby on. He was just running me through all the bits and pieces needed.

Barra, triple 45mm dcoe Weber's (recarb Qld) order on eBay. Then no EFI.
Can put it on all the Crossy, 4L sohc, Barra.
Trust me....save yourself the EFI nightmare and make the car fun.

5 minutes ago, Outback Jack said:

Barra, triple 45mm dcoe Weber's (recarb Qld) order on eBay. Then no EFI.
Can put it on all the Crossy, 4L sohc, Barra.
Trust me....save yourself the EFI nightmare and make the car fun.emoji40.pngemoji106.png

You're kinda a bad influence,,,,,,,,, I like that about you 😋

I'm here to make motoring fun, I've seen it all mate

EFI is great but aftermarket stand alone EFI with ecu. $$$
Carbs are a great way to get hands on mechanical knowledge without the fault finding nightmares of the earlier 1/2 mechanical 2/3 ecu systems..

Thom's basic formula for a gun OHC donk using factory parts is AU bottom end, EF head and EA cam. In NSW, it will need engineering, all emissions gear and the ECU that goes with an AU engine (or whatever block is used). It shouldn't be too hard if factory parts like mounts, crossmember, etc can be used.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

gerg beat me to it lol..  

just remember, Thoms XH ute got 178 RWKW from efi that was all factory bits mixed and matched. (not sure on tune without reading it all again)

"a really nice Combo (what some of you will remember I had in my xh) is Au egas short motor, Ef xr6 head, ea cam, El intake with a set of extractors and a tune made 178 rwkw for less than $600<br /><br />"

11 minutes ago, Mr Polson said:

Barras are easy to swap and quite easy to run on the factory ECUs if you went that way.

AU VCT was very primitive I think, most 4.0 swaps don't usually worry about the VCT.

be much more support for the barra too i'd expect. 

newest AU is 20yrs old nearly

1 hour ago, Mr Polson said:

Barras are easy to swap and quite easy to run on the factory ECUs if you went that way.

AU VCT was very primitive I think, most 4.0 swaps don't usually worry about the VCT.

Yep, it would be the smart thing to do.

And let's face it, a stock N/A Barra is going to feel like a race car motor in my old ute 😆

Yep, it would be the smart thing to do.
And let's face it, a stock N/A Barra is going to feel like a race car motor in my old ute 

Oh absolutely. The Barra transformed my Cruiser, and that still weighs 2.5t.

But the other big advantage to the Barra, is you can tune the stock ECU.
Pretty sure to do pretty much anything to EEC-IV or V, you need to chip them at minimum.

1 hour ago, motoSycho said:

Yeah, pretty much sold on the idea of putting a Barra in her. To help fund it, I have a mountain of 250 Crossflow motors and parts I can sell off.

You guys are enablers,,,, you know that right? 😋

I'd generally say stick with the crossflow, no engineers.

barra swaps have a lot of support these days, probably more knowledge on them than a crossflow(newest crossflow is nearly 30yrs old)

250000 too many ks on a BF motor?
My dad's was an early build BA, his engine was pretty tired at 200k, I reckon valve seals were gone and that's why it was a little smokey on startup, etc. Maybe they sorted minor build issues later on? I dunno, he's not exactly easy on his gear.

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

250000 too many ks on a BF motor?
Just ran in.

BF is probably the pick of them for swapping into an earlier Falcon. FG onwards get a bit complicated with the rear sump & dipstick etc.

I'd pull the sump and timing cover, clean them and reseal them. They basically leap from new around there, so 250,000kms wouldn't help that. Gives you a good chance to see the inside of the engine too.

Good time to paint the rusty block too

If you've got a spare rear main seal from a late xflow it'll fit the Barra. Same goes for the crank bearings.