motoSycho

Which 4.0 into Ratty XF Ute?

Good old Ford, they do like to reuse bits from past models 😁

I thought it sounded pretty good. For $400 with all its bits I reckon I'll grab it. Start collecting the bits to get it in then.

Good old Ford, they do like to reuse bits from past models

I thought it sounded pretty good. For $400 with all its bits I reckon I'll grab it. Start collecting the bits to get it in then.

They annoyingly changed oil filters for BF onwards, Z516 instead of Z9.
Guess they thought they should finally use a metric threaded filter.

Build a decent fuel system for your car/engine conversion.

One does not just stick a SOHC or BARRA into the hole and 

hope for the best. There is more to it than that. 

(do a BARRA conversion) 

Start reading what others have done with fuel systems and 

accelerator pedals. Then dummy up your design before  going to town

on the conversion. Gotta make that Throttle body work.

Research Research Research = Good job. 

7 hours ago, steve mcqueen said:

Build a decent fuel system for your car/engine conversion.

One does not just stick a SOHC or BARRA into the hole and 

hope for the best. There is more to it than that. 

(do a BARRA conversion) 

Start reading what others have done with fuel systems and 

accelerator pedals. Then dummy up your design before  going to town

on the conversion. Gotta make that Throttle body work.

Research Research Research = Good job. 

Thanks man, yeah I'll start collecting the bits I need, and talk to as many people as I can about it before I do the swap.

I'm looking at a motor on Thursday. It is still in the car, so I can hear it running. If it is all good I'll head back down on Sunday to pull it out.

Pretty comfortable pulling crossflows out, never removed a Barra before. I imagine there is a lot more wiring to come out.

What should I make sure I pull out with it?

Thanks man, yeah I'll start collecting the bits I need, and talk to as many people as I can about it before I do the swap.

I'm looking at a motor on Thursday. It is still in the car, so I can hear it running. If it is all good I'll head back down on Sunday to pull it out.

Pretty comfortable pulling crossflows out, never removed a Barra before. I imagine there is a lot more wiring to come out.

What should I make sure I pull out with it?

Pretty much all the engine wiring except the alternator and starter connects to the ECU with two big plugs. Once undone all the wiring comes with the engine.

The ECU is riveted to the shock tower and is a giant pain to drill out. Then you'll want to cut the wires from the ECU as far back near the firewall as possible.

4 minutes ago, Mr Polson said:
12 minutes ago, motoSycho said:
Cool ta, I knew none of that emoji13.png
Should I try and snaffle the accelerator pedal set up as well?

Definitely, get the pedal and the plug with as much wiring as you can

Thanks man, appreciate it. 

7 minutes ago, Mr Polson said:

Do you have power steering and/or AC?

Yep, I have both in the XF.  But not running the AC at the moment. Probably won't bother with hooking it back up, as I only have it blowing air on the windscreen .

There is a few Barra buildups in xd/e ‘s on here ,,

showing radiator to chassis rail notching that’s needed ,, acc pedal mounting , plug n play harness links etc . 

I wanted to do a Barra swap into my LTD ,,,

but being a moron with no foresight or foreskin I sold the bastard . Complete numpty . 

Should I grab the thermo fans as well?

I think EF/EL fans on a XG radiator is the way to go? Or just aftermarket fans.

Xflow radiator will have the hose inlet/outlet on the wrong sides. XG radiators are rare I believe but might bolt straight into XF (I'm pretty sure) and have the hoses in the right spots, and the outlet for the overflow bottle.

I think EF/EL fans on a XG radiator is the way to go? Or just aftermarket fans.

Xflow radiator will have the hose inlet/outlet on the wrong sides. XG radiators are rare I believe but might bolt straight into XF (I'm pretty sure) and have the hoses in the right spots, and the outlet for the overflow bottle.

nah XG lower radiator mounts are heaps different to XDEF. i used an EF radiator and fans in My XE with 1UZ due to the hose sizes and outlets. 

Ants thread mentions what they used in the looking for fishes barra XE ute i'll post a link to it 

thread here.. i'll have a look through it 

We also used a front tie bar from a ba as its going to use a stock ba radiator, fans and hoses to keep it all as simple as possible and to make it easy to get parts.

To get the bottom radiator hose the original tie bar needed a notch for clearance.

Well there you go, good to know.

Weird how they changed things from model to model.

Change the hell out of how the radiator sits on the bottom, but use the same crank bearings for 50 years

10 minutes ago, Mr Polson said:

Well there you go, good to know.

Weird how they changed things from model to model.

Change the hell out of how the radiator sits on the bottom, but use the same crank bearings for 50 years

My mate fitted an EL radiator and fans into XG recently(EF engine), that was a pain in the ass also... i don't know why they didn't use an EA EB radiator in the XG, it would have fitted fine if engineered from the beginning. 

I have a set of EF or EL fans sitting here that I never used.

But I guess I'll see if I can grab the radiator and fans from the BF and make them fit.

Doing one of these swaps is very much 'a piece from here and a piece from there' 😁

5 hours ago, motoSycho said:

But I guess I'll see if I can grab the radiator and fans from the BF and make them fit.

if you watch the series the Castlemaine rodshop did on their XF with turbo barra, pretty sure they used a VL commodore radiator to avoid notching the rail, but had to screw around with radiator hoses. 

I used BA stuff on my XE with a scallop taken from the rail...

Ants build thread on his (sleeping with the fish's?)  xe ute is a great blueprint/basis to follow, has good clear pics of the scallop/notch he did, along with the fitting the lower tie bar for the BA/BF radiator

Yep I downloaded all of the CRS videos and will watch them over the weekend. I just watched a Forrest Fabrications video detailing his budget Barra swap into his XF ute. It was good, lots of tips there as well.

If I can avoid having to notch the rails to fit a radiator, that would be great!