Server maintenance Read more... ×
RM351

FMX or C6?

Not having much luck finding a pan fill C4  (my first preference) on the west side.

The FMX would be the next choice however, I already bought a new TCI shifter suitable for C4/C6 as well as a neutral switch. As you all know there is no aftermarket bits for the FMX, so the next choice would be the C6 but, is it a straight fit and is it too big on HP robbing compare to a FMX? Engine will be a mild 351 (not using for drag racing etc) with a possibility of going to a 393 or 408 down the track.

you could go either way,and yes c4s are now getting very pricey for a core,once upon a time c4 panfils were everywhere and $200 got you a good starting point ,the c6 is ok ,i fitted one to my old 400 in the xf ute and bolted in easy,fmx has same yolk 31 spline,and is a little bit heavier,also generaly extractors fit c4 or fmx,but c6 might need a custom set.

you will need a flexible dipstick on a c6 as no aussie cars came with c6,or maybe a mustang c6 one might work,also you will need to make trans lines up for a c6,at the end of the day all three gearboxes will work fmx can be had very cheap,and is a dam strong gearbox ,only downside is weight and ya need 31 spline yoke and new uni to mate it too ya tailshaft,but if ya already bought a shifter keep looking for a c4 pan fill ,its light,everything fits,and then lay down a rubber road.

The shifter I have has the bracket for a C6 plus I have a 31 spline yolk so I could go either C4 or C6. I wanted to make sure the C6 is not overkill in weight or power robbing compared to a FMX if I choose to go with that.

Any of those are an ok option for a mild setup . Don't get caught up in the whole HP robbing thing. For your setup you'd never notice.

Anyway a roller bearing in a C6 at the rear helps free them up and available as a bolt in deal .

The C4's are around but pricey . If you're rebuilding  budget in for a planet as most are worn out .

The C6 is tough as as long as the pipes will fit as above . The right parts and a shift kit help nicely. And a tube dipstick will fit in a Falcon no problems .

The FMX with a good rebuild and transgo shift kit is all it will need . As long as it is ok parts wise to start with , and pay attention to the forward drum bore where the sealing rings run . A lot are worn but can be sleeved .

FMX + C4 are same length so tailshaft will fit with correct yoke .

C6 likely need tailshaft shortened