Server maintenance Read more... ×
Ron

small starter motor question

Hey fellas, got an XE.

Just got a second hand set of pacemakers 2 inch with a 3/12 collector. Was sworn by the bloke they are xr-xf.

Anyway, i was told i need to modify the dipstick for a c4 and also i need a "smaller starter motor".

Ive had a quick look about and ive seen something called a 'remote solenoid starter motor'. 

I am after your much better knowledge than mine of whats the best way to get these to fit?

Does anyone have any knowledge or pics of what they did? I have seen a bloke who simply bent his dipstick to fit, and seen an ad for a mini starter. but thats it.

Cheers all.

Ron

the E series and newer starter motor is a gear reduction(more torque) smaller starter that fits the V8 when you grind a bit out to clear the flywheel. (although it may not fit still if the pipes are massive like i've seen in some instances..if so, then you might need one that can have the solenoid clocked in different positions fully aftermarket)

i would hope @bear351c @gerg or @hendrixhc might have a pic or knowledge of the actual pipes and possibly the dipstick issue

the E series and newer starter motor is a gear reduction(more torque) smaller starter that fits the V8 when you grind a bit out to clear the flywheel. (although it may not fit still if the pipes are massive like i've seen in some instances..if so, then you might need one that can have the solenoid clocked in different positions fully aftermarket)

i would hope [mention=262]bear351c[/mention] [mention=244]gerg[/mention] or [mention=34]hendrixhc[/mention] might have a pic or knowledge of the actual pipes and possibly the dipstick issue

My extractors are Tri-Y, so have a bit more clearance than a set of full tuned. Even at that, space is tight and steering box swaps are a pain ( jack engine off its mounts, etc). Starter motor clearance isnt a huge issue for me, I just went with a later 6-Cyl Bosch type as they're cheaper than the old heavy direct drive and are an easy fit with a small body. You need to watch drag link and Pitman Arm clearance to the solenoid terminal as the solenoid now points down at near 6 o'clock.

The mods are simple. Just drill out the 8mm bolt holes to 3/8” and remove about 10mm of the casting on the pinion snout support on the lower edge, to clear the ring gear. I had a thread on the whole DIY process with pics but can't remember what section it's buried in.

Sent from my CPH1920 using Tapatalk

I have 1 7/8'' to 3 1/2'' 4into1 Proflow headers & have decent clearance to starter motor, but did add a heat fabric type heat shield just incase.

IMG_2355_zpsbd5da73d.jpg

I have B&M pan & aeroflow braided flexable dipstick on my C4 (pan fill/C10), I added a male to male fitting into the pan, then a female to female 90° fitting, then B&M dipstick adapter, then aeroflow dipstick. Standard pan & dipstick 'just' cleared my extractors, but also know @clevocortina copied my setup for his XD as he had clearance issues,

dbJ5QlB.jpg

i dont no what all the fuss is about ,its usually the c6 that has clearance problems,pacemakers should fit straight in,i even put a set on my last 400 into xf and it worked with bulky std starter and c6 with flexible stick.

i dont no what all the fuss is about ,its usually the c6 that has clearance problems,pacemakers should fit straight in,i even put a set on my last 400 into xf and it worked with bulky std starter and c6 with flexible stick.
They might physically clear each other, but I like to keep as much air gap as possible to the starter. I've had a few issues with 250 crossy starters cracking on the solenoid cap because they sit too close to the manifold. Later ones have the solenoid at 90 deg instead of vertical, solved that issue.

Sent from my CPH1920 using Tapatalk

Just a word of caution, XR-XE clevo extractors is a bit sketchy.....

XY slightly different to XD.

Manual steering.

FMX trans, etc, etc. 

You may have to 'modify' the extractor tubes. Pacemakers are notorious for not quite right fitment. Good pipes, Aussie made, but not direct fit.