genemoore

Loose pushrods

I have a 250 crossflow with Yella Terra Roller Rockers and just discovered after taking the tappet cover off that the push rods are loose is this a common thing for the Yella Terra Roller Rockers to become loose

I have a 250 crossflow with Yella Terra Roller Rockers and just discovered after taking the tappet cover off that the push rods are loose is this a common thing for the Yella Terra Roller Rockers to become loose
Is it a case of the rockers coming loose, or your lifters collapsing/wearing out? Are your lifters bolt-on pedestal or adjustable stud-mounted? Are the rockers also adjustable at the pushrod end?

Sent from my CPH1920 using Tapatalk

You mean are the rockers bolt on or pedestal mounted? Sorry it.wont let me.upload.a.pic grrrr

I'm pretty sure they are pedestal mounted and adjustable at the pushrods, 

Everything on the roller rockers are tight no loose fasteners but I'm able to lift the roller rockers  off the valve springs a bit .

If can help with some advice my email is-  gktm99@gmail.com 
You can post pics either through Photobucket or sign up to Tapatalk and access the forum through that, and it also enables pics to be sent along with the message. That's the one I use.

Tapatalk is a forum hosting app on your phone or (maybe) computer... Anyway, the pic you emailed:

44059811d58817006edbe8e91c9c12f8.jpg

Those are adjustable at the pushrod end, meaning they might not have been adjusted right but if this engine hasn't been run yet, the lifters will be empty of oil so the free play you are witnessing is the light pressure that the lifter preload spring provides.

If there is no light pressure and the rocker is freely flopping back and forth, the initial adjustment procedure should be followed.

I would do it by backing off the locknut on each one, rotate the engine around to TDC compression on each cylinder you're doing and wind the Allen key adjuster in till it just contacts the pushrod. Then go 3/4 of a turn in to achieve lifter preload. Lock the nut at that setting and move to the next. Repeat process in firing order 1-5-3-6-2-4 till all are done.

note that when using roller rockers on a crossflow ,the cup in the rocker that holds the pushrod sometimes is set deeper than stock ,i found this out on my crossflow after having it milled it actually needed longer than stock length which i couldnt work out until the machine shop told me ,will depend on brand of rocker.

On 12/9/2021 at 1:00 AM, gerg said:

Tapatalk is a forum hosting app on your phone or (maybe) computer... Anyway, the pic you emailed:

44059811d58817006edbe8e91c9c12f8.jpg

Those are adjustable at the pushrod end, meaning they might not have been adjusted right but if this engine hasn't been run yet, the lifters will be empty of oil so the free play you are witnessing is the light pressure that the lifter preload spring provides.

If there is no light pressure and the rocker is freely flopping back and forth, the initial adjustment procedure should be followed.

I would do it by backing off the locknut on each one, rotate the engine around to TDC compression on each cylinder you're doing and wind the Allen key adjuster in till it just contacts the pushrod. Then go 3/4 of a turn in to achieve lifter preload. Lock the nut at that setting and move to the next. Repeat process in firing order 1-5-3-6-2-4 till all are done.

Ah yes I totally forgot about the hydro lifters so of course I can move the rockers.and pushrods.seem loose

The motor has been well.run in maybe 10000 kms ,its 20.years old and I never got to finish it til now  I gave the inside a.major clean and.oil but.it hasn't been started back up again.amd I'm in that process but have to assemble all gaskets and bolt.ons again.,.so would i stil follow that procedure to recommended?

On 12/9/2021 at 11:30 AM, CHESTNUTXE said:

note that when using roller rockers on a crossflow ,the cup in the rocker that holds the pushrod sometimes is set deeper than stock ,i found this out on my crossflow after having it milled it actually needed longer than stock length which i couldnt work out until the machine shop told me ,will depend on brand of rocker.

Yes I was informed about.this when I ordered the one piece chrome molly pushrods