RM351

Can Anyone Figure Out This Setup?

Trying to figure out what this relay is for. Currently has an aftermarket push pull headlight switch and the relay is connected to the original headlight switch wiring.

It's connected to the Brown wire, yellow wire and Red/Yellow wire. At first I thought it's the only way the aftermarket switch will work having the relay but the lights work fine even when the relay is unplugged.

Is there another reason for the relay?

20210923-083600.jpg

20211111-110709.jpg

20211111-110748.jpg

depends how it's connected, was there spot lights fitted?

if there are spot lights fitted, they are supposed to turn off when low beam is selected(not sure the high beam wires would be near the switch though) otherwise, a relay is a good idea anyway, as it takes the load off the switch. 

would depend how it's wired once again.  being non genuine and a bit home made looking i'd be considering getting a correct XB switch, a reco one will be dear though. there's a guy on facebook reconditioning them, but they attract the GT tax.. your ute condition and goals i think it would be much nicer with the original switch if you can afford it. 

i am fairly sure this is the guy on facebook doing the switches, if you are a member of the many ford XB etc facebook groups you'd be able to double check from reviews, he's also on fordforums.com.au if you'd prefer not to use facebook

https://www.facebook.com/neptuneblue76

1 hour ago, deankdx said:

depends how it's connected, was there spot lights fitted?

if there are spot lights fitted, they are supposed to turn off when low beam is selected(not sure the high beam wires would be near the switch though) otherwise, a relay is a good idea anyway, as it takes the load off the switch. 

No spotlights and there is only wiring going from the relay to the headlight wiring.

It may be used to take the load off the aftermarket switch like you said.

1 hour ago, deankdx said:

i'd be considering getting a correct XB switch

Do have one, need to check if it's works otherwise will send it to that guy that reco's them.

You can recon the switches if you're keen. theres just a couple of tabs to bend, and it all comes apart. Clean the brass contacts and spray with CRC,  NeptuneBlue does good work.

Even if you fit the original, run a relay. Lights will be so much brighter.