Ando81

T5 Manual Oil Level

Hey fellas, just wanted to check my oil level in my xf t5 gearbox and I don't have a hoist. Was thinking if I jacked up the drivers side of my ute and checked it that it may seem a little low because of the angle that the ute will be on. I will prob top it up until it runs out of the bung although it may be a little overfull, surely more is better than less oil. Anyone got any better suggestions? Just checking it because it sometimes can be difficult to select first and third gears. I am hoping that it is as simple as low fluid and not a bent selector fork. Cheers for any input!

if ya over fill manuals all that usally happens is they spit oil out the breather

i abuse the shit out of my T5 its yet to shit (the only thing i don't do it full on clutch dumps)

i use dextron 3 and lubrizol additive (special additive for T5 gear boxes  ) 

if ya over fill manuals all that usally happens is they spit oil out the breather

i abuse the shit out of my T5 its yet to shit (the only thing i don't do it full on clutch dumps)

i use dextron 3 and lubrizol additive (special additive for T5 gear boxes  ) 

Cheers mate, I will go with some of that. My engine is all stock so shouldn't have to worry bout killing it, I don't dump the clutch, just carry a bit of weight in the tub from time to time so it should hold together for a few more years.

So I've got the oil level sorted now, just wondering if anyone has trouble selecting first gear and reverse in their t5 box. Mine can be a bastard to get into reverse. I realise there is no synchro on it but sometimes I really have to jerk it in. And sometimes at traffic lights I put it in neutral while I'm stopped and when I go to select first gear to drive away it can need extra force to get it to go in also. I have the clutch adjusted up nice and firm so am not sure what it is. Have read somewhere that it can be a worn part on the selector or something.

Sounds like your pilot bearing isn't spinning freely enough, causing your input shaft to turn with the engine, even though the clutch is disengaged. Try this: when crawling along , pop it into neutral then back into 1st. If it goes into gear nicely, then that eliminates bent shift forks or rails. Try the other gears at rest as well.