Server maintenance Read more... ×
Britto

XD - XE Black blocks

Looking for a 302 black block for my 79 S Pack. I've read somewhere that the XD 302 V8 Black blocks had different casting numbers for those specific model years can anyone clarify this. Always thought they were 72DA numbers.

36 minutes ago, Britto said:

Looking for a 302 black block for my 79 S Pack. I've read somewhere that the XD 302 V8 Black blocks had different casting numbers for those specific model years can anyone clarify this. Always thought they were 72DA numbers.

@CHESTNUTXE knows these blocks better than most, may have one still?

yeah ive got a 79 xd block here,dont no where you get 72da from ? altho the early black blocks still have CF mark on them cleveland foundry ,even tho they cast in geelong,later black blocks had GF geelong foundry cast on them.

Had I quick look through the thread in my short arse lunch break couldn't see anything, my car was built 5th July 79 which I'm sure is 9G5 (correct me if I'm wrong) if yours is dated on or before that I'm definitely interested.

The build date and the casting date are often different. The engine cast date eg: 9G5  simply states that the block was cast in the foundry that day. May have sat on the shelf for months before being shoved in a car, van, Fairmont or whatever.  Unless the engine number is matching your VIN tags, and shock tower, theres no real value in getting one the exact date your car was made. ( Just remember black blocks have different size holes in them for distributor shaft.)