Server maintenance Read more... ×
SydSpring

T5 Gearbox length's

Hello,

I've heard the length and shifter position between xf and au T5 is different. 

I'm wondering if the crossmember position is different though.

I ask this because I've got a Barra + Au T5 going into an xf and can't find a x-series or e-series T5

Thanks guys!

i would have to ask @Thom if he's got time to reply. 

the benefit of the XF to EL box is also that it fits a standard tail shaft also .. i would imagine you'd need to shorten a tail shaft if using an AU box. 

i don't know about the cross member position, i'd keep looking for an XF to EL one personally. 

G'Day, just measured some gearboxes i have here

EF/EF measures from front of gearbox case to middle of standard shifter level was 550mm, and its 445mm to middle of mount

AU (i think as thats what it was in) measure from front of gearbox case to standard shifter level was 610mm and its 500mm to middle of mount

12 hours ago, deankdx said:

i would have to ask @Thom if he's got time to reply. 

the benefit of the XF to EL box is also that it fits a standard tail shaft also .. i would imagine you'd need to shorten a tail shaft if using an AU box. 

i don't know about the cross member position, i'd keep looking for an XF to EL one personally. 

I agree with Dean, look for an EF/EL box (perhaps put your AU one up for swaps),

you will still need a custom gearbox mount or if you can find an EA speed gearbox crossmember, last one on ebay was drug money at $200+ bucks....

In my XE (barra,, T5, EL LSD diff) I simply cut the EL T5 member up and welded onto the back of the standard XE gearbox crossmember, it still uses the EL mount that locates into one squre hole, and everything else was bolt up, i used the E series tailshaft as the diff was changed to EL as well.  I even ran the EL fuel lines with an XE EFi tank (with upgraded in tank pump)

cheers

wok

39 minutes ago, Thom said:
2 hours ago, bear351c said:
Some good info here, looking at getting one for the new project XP.  Cant afford 5 grand for a TKO...!!!

Good news, if you set it up for a t5 its not very hard to go tko from there in the future

HA HA HA.....thanks Thom, as soon as I find that winning lottery ticket I bought. Cant even find a good V8 manual 5 speed.. Reckon I might have to get one out of a XR6 or similar, and down size the horsepower of the engine. 

Booooo....!!

2 hours ago, bear351c said:

HA HA HA.....thanks Thom, as soon as I find that winning lottery ticket I bought. Cant even find a good V8 manual 5 speed.. Reckon I might have to get one out of a XR6 or similar, and down size the horsepower of the engine. 

Booooo....!!

i don't know what other options are out there, but i once saw a 250 crossflow with a V8 commodore box adapted to it(was in a transit van) on a dellow or CRS bell housing. 

not sure why that was done,  

the 6cyl T5 bolts up to the single rail/top loader v8 bell housing with some reasonably easy mods @gerg did. 

i wonder if an importer like eagle spares would have a box from one of the Chev C10 trucks etc(shifter forward more, could be an option also) 

the manual conversion stuff has always been dear. 

Booooo....!!
You can use a 6 cylinder t5 on a single rail or top loader bellhousing using an adapter, the 6 cylinder t5 has a longer input shaft than a v8 top loader or single rail, all e series t5's are about the same strength, hp doesn't really kill t5's torque does a mild 302 in front of one in a light car like an xp should have a pretty decent service life, the only reason to chase up a factory V8 t5 set-up would be for the left hand starter but then that restricts off the shelf header/exhaust manifold fitments on the passenger side and limits you to a cable style clutch

You can use a 6 cylinder t5 on a single rail or top loader bellhousing using an adapter, the 6 cylinder t5 has a longer input shaft than a v8 top loader or single rail, all e series t5's are about the same strength, hp doesn't really kill t5's torque does a mild 302 in front of one in a light car like an xp should have a pretty decent service life, the only reason to chase up a factory V8 t5 set-up would be for the left hand starter but then that restricts off the shelf header/exhaust manifold fitments on the passenger side and limits you to a cable style clutch
That wasn't my experience Thom, my combo consists of an EA T5, very old mechanical toploader bell drilled and studded to suit, and standard 351 clutch. Input shaft on my T5 was the same length as the single rail that came out, 6 and 8 cyl types, only mod was to skim 1.5mm off the diameter of the input bearing retainer (snout) to fit into the smaller hole in the bellhousing.

This same T5 box lived in my EF and my EA before it, both of them 6s.

Sent from my CPH1920 using Tapatalk

That wasn't my experience Thom, my combo consists of an EA T5, very old mechanical toploader bell drilled and studded to suit, and standard 351 clutch. Input shaft on my T5 was the same length as the single rail that came out, 6 and 8 cyl types, only mod was to skim 1.5mm off the diameter of the input bearing retainer (snout) to fit into the smaller hole in the bellhousing.

This same T5 box lived in my EF and my EA before it, both of them 6s.

I'll have to look up what was done to this one, dad had it done when I was in high school, I may be remembering it wrong a10543ba1f16125395ad7ccc292e0d22.jpg

26 minutes ago, Thom said:

I'll have to look up what was done to this one, dad had it done when I was in high school, I may be remembering it wrong

My experience is as Gerg described. fits without many mods. (6cyl T5 onto single rail bell) 

I'll have to look up what was done to this one, dad had it done when I was in high school, I may be remembering it wrong a10543ba1f16125395ad7ccc292e0d22.jpg
Maybe he got the longer input E-series windsor box/bellhousing? ie: EB XR8, etc

Maybe he got the longer input E-series windsor box/bellhousing? ie: EB XR8, etc

And the answer is, it was a 6 cylinder t5, the bellhousing was machined down the thickness of the adapter plate

V8 T5 has the longer input shaft.

6cyl T5 is the one you need for any single rail or top loader bell housing.

input bearing retainer needs to be turned down a smidge to fit in the back of the bell housing.

I used a 3 speed V8 bell housing , redrilled top holes to bolt up the box and something similar for the two bottom holes.

been in the car for ten years, seems to be holding up fine, but then I don’t do epic skids.

and I have a couple of spares.