Server maintenance Read more... ×
Ted the ex mechanic

XG 1993 4.0 auto Ute NO SPARK

This car was running fine but the starter motor was faulty.

We replaced the starter motor and now it cranks great but does not run. It appears to be getting fuel but no spark. 

There are no blown fuses. There is power at the coil and the distributor. 

Even done the smartlock reset procedure even though I don't think this vehicle has it. 

I feel as I'm missing something that is very simple, my theory is that something has been disturbed by mucking around the starter motor region. 

I'm a bit lost as I quit being a mechanic in 1985 therefore I have no experience in efi or ecu's or any other magical mysterious electronic devices. 

I'm at the stage of thinking I will remove the intake manifold just so I can get decent access to the problem area. Do you guys go to this extent so you can get to the distributor and coil, they seem impossibly difficult to get to! 

But I'm baffled and reluctant to believe something else has failed like a coil or distributor at the same coincidental time when changing the starter motor. I still can't go past the suspicion of a broken wire or blown fuse even though I've checked for those things. Hence my comment am i missing something that I don't know about. 

Give me points and a carby and I would have had this thing running three days ago.

Any help would be greatly appreciated